Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford 351W vs chevy 350---how do they compare?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Ford 351W vs chevy 350---how do they compare?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about replacing the 289 in my old 67' Bronco with a 351W. I was wondering if anyone here knows how the famous chevy 350 and it compare in similar applications?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I have worked on both rebuilt both and raced both. What exactly do you want to know?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm no wrench but I would simply go with the 351 just to keep the parts in the same family amigo.

Sounds like a cool project...had two broncos back in the 80's. They were great rides. Both had the 351's & the 84 came with the H.O. engine...it made the 81 seem like a snail.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Just general comparison info. I know, for example, the Chevy is cheaper to work on.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may be completely wrong, but I thought hot-rodders picked the Chevy 350 more often because it was easier to work on and a better motor. The Windsor was, if I remember correctly, less reliable when performance parts were added. Also, you can swing a dead cat and hit parts to "soup up" a Chevy 350.

As an aside, have you considered a crate motor from Roush? That would be pretty easy and it would run on pump gas.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Yea generally chevy will be cheaper to work on and easier to find parts.
    Me personally I like the 351Windsor I have never been a fan of Siamese intake and exhaust ports on the chevy. It really depends on what exactly you want to do. If your are wanting a strict race car I would say chevy just because it is cheap and everybody has parts. If you are wanting more of a everyday driver then I would say 351windsor.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    350 Chevy is bulletproof.

It will run 300k miles easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    I may be completely wrong, but I thought hot-rodders picked the Chevy 350 more often because it was easier to work on and a better motor. The Windsor was, if I remember correctly, less reliable when performance parts were added. Also, you can swing a dead cat and hit parts to "soup up" a Chevy 350.

As an aside, have you considered a crate motor from Roush? That would be pretty easy and it would run on pump gas.

M_P
    I used to work on a full drag race pinto with a 315w stock crank, stock rods, solid roller lunati camshaft shift point 8200 rpms 2 stage nitrous system that motor ran for more than 4 years in that configuration before the crank finally gave way never seen a chevy handle that.
    Chevy is popular because it is plentiful and cheap if you are racing really Racing you are going to go through motors it is a lot cheaper and easier to replace chevy motors than ford motors.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would appear that I am completely wrong, then.

M_P

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Chevrolet small block has many advantages over the Ford small block:
    - Heavy duty, high nickle content block w/ 4 bolt nodular iron main caps vs cast blocks w/ cast 2 bolt mains.
    - Forged steel crankshafts vs cast iron crankshafts.
    - Forged steel connecting rods w/ 3/8" rod bolts vs 5/16" rod bolts.
    - Superior oiling system.
    - 17 head bolts vs 10 head bolts.
    - Heads featuring larger valve sizes for improved performance.
    - Simpler cooling system

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast