Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VLTOR MUR A1 Upper NEW PICS!!!! (chose Vltor) (New paintjob on page 2)

Feedback Score

VLTOR MUR A1 Upper NEW PICS!!!! (chose Vltor) (New paintjob on page 2)

First and formost thank you all for welcoming to the forum this is my first thread and first post

On subject im curiouse to what the thoughts and opinouns are of the 2 diffrent uppers.

one is obviously tried and true the other is a new cool looking.

Which would you pick??

Thank you in advanced Rob.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The VLTOR is straighter, truer and more rigid if that makes any since (the high qualities of billet) vs. a standard mil-spec forged upper by CMT. Both will work very well for most applications.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

MUR 1

I just built a carbine and I used a Vltor MUR 1 for my upper reciever. I couldn't be more pleased with it. If you have the money I would recommend the MUR. My only word of caution is selection of a rail system. I went with a Troy free float rail system only to find out the anit rotation pins were set up for a mil spec upper. Not really a big deal just be prepared to remove a little metal with a file.

Feedback Score
    The rails i have for this build are YHM Free floating rails i figured that could be a problem

Thank you in advanced.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLovinTexan View Post
    Which would you pick??
    Depends on what you're building. If you're using an "accurate" barrel like a Noveske then the more accurately machined MUR makes sense. If you using a "rack grade" barrel then the MUR isn't going to offer much you can use except cool looks.

Feedback Score
    Ill be using a CMMG 16 inch midlength barrel. However i have not decided on the conture i want for the barrel. Im stuck between Govt Profile and Medcon barrel. Not exactly the most demanding precision barrel but i dont like Noveske barrels because of the color, if they were black id buy them.

the other problem with the MUR upper is finding them instock.

Rob Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLovinTexan View Post
    Ill be using a CMMG 16 inch midlength GOVT profile barrel. Not exactly the most demanding precision barrel but i dont like Noveske barrels because of the color, if they were black id buy them.

the other problem with the MUR upper is finding them instock.

Rob Thanks everyone.
    For that application it'll really be overkill, but if you like the look go for it. The Noveske barrels as well as any barrel can be sprayed with GunKote or Norrels in black.

If you true up the front end of a CMT receiver with a lapping tool and some other tricks you can get some extreme accuracy of of a mil-spec CMT receiver and if you're using a scope mount like an Armalite or Larue it'll help you even more.

This upper (which I didn't lap, nor do any other tricks on) shoots .220" groups at 100yds with reloaded BH 60gr V-MAX. It's just a standard 'Wilson' stainless barrel in 1x9 twist with a .223 Rem chamber. I can't remember if it's a Bushy or RRA upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The VLTOR is straighter, truer and more rigid if that makes any since (the high qualities of billet) vs. a standard mil-spec forged upper by CMT. Both will work very well for most applications.
    Agree. They are one of the very best upper receivers on the market to date.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the Vltor vs. Larue Tactical comparison, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    In the Vltor vs. Larue Tactical comparison, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?
    In real world uses....no. Pretty much just looks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast