Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Thumb Safety issue

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Dr Dues;472748]
    The main reason I posted anything in this thread was because an individual claimed that riding the safety is "the universally accepted grip" and it's not. Part of shooting is having to realize that while there are some basics, individuals can have their own needs. One size does not fit all/QUOTE]

Someday, If you keep an open mind, and are willing to learn, you'll find out your incorrect. http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...1/m/3781082322
    It's not a question of an open mind. I'm always willing to learn with shooting. That's why I shoot in a local league once a week that is tied to a shooting school. I get a lot out of structured practice, drills, and competition. I like seeing what new way people have for doing something or what concern has cropped up with gun handling.

I've seen both sides of the "riding the safety" argument (performance, repairs, etc.). The mere fact that you have a bunch of people on the other side of the argument eliminates the concept of universal acceptance. -LF acceptance isn't universal acceptance. It's just the loudest voices on LF carrying the day on LF. I am stunned that some people who use the technique worry about inadvertently activating the safety but that's probably because I haven't done it.

If you want to talk about open mind and correctness go to a few different shooting schools/classes and hear the instructors diverge on what you should and shouldn't do. With shooting certain techniques and gear come into vogue and then go out of vogue almost as quickly. Certain programs have a very particular point of view that they will pound and the shooters who complete the course will parrot it as gospel. -I am very hesitant to adopt the attitude that stuff like this is universally accepted or that one thing is high speed and everything else is low speed because I have seen the problems with the riding the safety technique and I have seen stuff like this fall into disuse. -Somewhere on this board there is a thread about trends in gear and tactics that illustrates the dynamic very well.

People have different points of view. You should read some of the gun gurus slamming lasers when they first came out as purely range toys and now the same people say they have some good uses. I suspect "riding the safety" is going to be one of those techniques like slingshot vs. slide release. How did that ever become an argument where one was high speed and the other wasn't?

Feedback Score
    I was only aware of one technique when it came to running a 1911. Thumbs forward is that technique. The people who developed it know allot more than me and put allot more time into it and rounds down range. Running it the way you doing and saying it hasn't happened to me yet is an invitation for Mr. Murphy to **** your day up. Not busting on you man just pointing out the obvious. I've got really small hands and really short thumbs the narrow wilson ambi safety is the one I use never had an issue with rubbing or placement.

As far as parts breaking being an issue that would make me not want to run the gun this way.. well I've only heard of a hand full of cases where the safety has broken, and it happened on kimbers from what I recall, its not a concern of mine at all. But hey if it works for you that's great. I would recomend some other trainers as they may be able to show you the light so to speak.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesty0311 View Post
    I would recomend some other trainers as they may be able to show you the light so to speak.
    100% agree - there is a difference between "vogue" and correct technique. The Janitor posted photos of the correct grip.

M_P

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    It's just the loudest voices on LF carrying the day on LF. I am stunned that some people who use the technique worry about inadvertently activating the safety but that's probably because I haven't done it.
    Inadvertant activation of the thumb safety on the 1911 is pretty common (especially with extended safeties) when people don't keep their thumb on it. I'm surprised you've never seen it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Inadvertant activation of the thumb safety on the 1911 is pretty common (especially with extended safeties) when people don't keep their thumb on it. I'm surprised you've never seen it.
    I can't speak for Outrider, but I've certainly seen it, I've just never personally experienced it. As an aside, I don't actually carry a 1911 (every other gun I've ever carried doesn't have a safety, I'm not about to throw one with into the mix, nothing against the 1911 itself). For my non-life threatening, non-competitive 1911 shooting purposes, I do better with my thumb below the thumb safety and I think I'm just gonna stick with that technique, "correct" or not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    im too lazy to read the whole thread, but i will post anyway. if by "the hammer falls funny" u mean that it seems like it gets caught before the hammer will strike the firing pin, it could possibly be a worn leaf spring. i dont know how old you pistol is, but it recently happened to me with a colt 1991a1 that i have had for many years. sometimes parts just get old and worn out. my dad is an unofficial 1911 gunsmith, and knows more about them than most other guys i know. so i asked him what might cause this issue, and he recommended the leaf spring. as soon as i changed it, i took her to the range, and she was back to her old self. makin little groups at 25 yds. hope this helps.

richie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12