Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ar 10 or 15?

Feedback Score

Ar 10 or 15?

Hello Newbie here I know that the 10 is for 308 b/c of length, and 15 is for all under that. I am looking into building an ar for strictly hunting deer, and target practice(stress relief). The question is should I go with the 10 or the 15. I don't trust anything under 6.8mm(.270) for deer; know that might ruffle some feathers but that is the way I was brought up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For hunting I would go AR10. I use a PTR91 for Elk and Deer and it works great. You can use the AR15 for deer hunting in either .5.56 or 6.8 but I would rather be over powered than under for hunting....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    thanks the one other question is how big can I go with a 15? the 10 is really what I want for hunting but how is the reliability of the 10 compared to the 15, I've read in other posts that the 10 malfunction more. also I can get a pse crossbow conversion for the 15 and not the 10 so I can prolong my hunting season. thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    AR10s are just as reliable as AR15s. The AR15 will give more upper options, its all up to you as what you want or need. If you can afford it, do both...
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    umm if your planning on doing a lot of hunting or target shooting(+500yds), id go with a larger round. I think it says the max range for the .223 round is 600meters(1968.5ft). i can get 1ft groups with my bull barrel ar15 at 500yds standing, im sure i could do better groups on a bench rest. But im sure you probably will never shoot at anything over those ranges. Usually when i plan on shooting over 600yds, i bring out my 7mm. Otherwise my ar15 does if at 100-500yds target shooting. But hunting, probably never shoot at anything at those distances with a ar15. if you are, its probably just to see how close you can get it before whatever your shooting at runs off. again with the larger rounds do cost more then the smaller ones.
    Last edited by scottd907; 12-27-09 at 03:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    AR10s are just as reliable as AR15s. The AR15 will give more upper options, its all up to you as what you want or need. If you can afford it, do both...
    I would have to disagree with your statement about the AR10 being as reliable as the AR15. I own examples of both and that is false in my experience.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Can't speak for the Armalite AR10, but my DPMS LR308's have been 100% reliable with several types of 7.62 ammunition. With over 5000 rounds fired, no malfunctions to date, whether slow or rapid fire.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I would have to disagree with your statement about the AR10 being as reliable as the AR15. I own examples of both and that is false in my experience.
    Pat
    Please elaborate, make, model and issue your having with it. Theres always an exception to the rule, to mention usere error could be a huge part of things (in some cases)...
    Last edited by 99HMC4; 12-27-09 at 16:56.
    FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Please elaborate, make, model and issue your having with it. Theres always an exception to the rule, to mention usere error could be a huge part of things (in some cases)...
    For starters look at the SASS testing for the military. The KAC was chosen but nearly all the contestants came up short in the reliability department. I personally have Two AR10's. The first one I purchased was a Armalite AR10T. It has always cycled and ejected fine. But when I first got it the trigger would double, and the hammer would follow and not fire the round at times. It went back to Armalite 3 times and was never made right. I installed a KAC trigger and that fixed it. Later I upgraded to a Geisselle. Otherwise the rifle has been trouble free. I later had GAP put a better barrel. Its in right now getting the muzzle threaded and a new free float handguard. I don't care for the aesthetics fo the badger.

Now for the AR10 that had issues. My carbine an AR10 A4. It ran fine for the first 1000 rounds or so then started to fail to eject, I ended up calling Armalite and getting an upgraded extractor and ejector spring as well as a new insert for the extractor. That has helped it to run well since. I have had friends that have had multiple issues with the AR10's. The very fact that Armalite has a tech note page on how to diagnose problems is a very telling sign. Do a search on the net and you will find many complaints about reliability from AR10's. Talk to any professional trainers about how AR10's run in classes and its usually not good at least not up to AR15 standards.

I like the AR10 its a fun gun to shoot. But they are not as reliable as the AR15.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I can agree theres some bugs to work out. Do you have any experience with AR10s other than Armalite? Armalite is not the only brand that makes the AR10. Also, hes not going to war, hes going hunting...
    FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast