Thread: Question regarding LMT buffer tube

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question regarding LMT buffer tube

Thanks to Grant, I am the proud new owner of an LMT Defender lower with SOPMOD. This is my first LMT, and I'm very pleased with it. However, upon first inspection I immediately noticed something different about the receiver extension/buffer tube. It's sort of a silver-gray in color and has a smooth finish. It feels like it might be Teflon or dry-film coated. Every other receiver extension I've seen had a finish similar to that of your typical upper or lower.

Is this an LMT thing? Does it have something to do with the SOPMOD stock? Who else (if anyone) makes receiver extensions like this? I have no complaints. I'm just curious. I know someone will ask me, "What's up with that buffer tube?" and I'd like to have an answer for them.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    Thanks to Grant, I am the proud new owner of an LMT Defender lower with SOPMOD. This is my first LMT, and I'm very pleased with it. However, upon first inspection I immediately noticed something different about the receiver extension/buffer tube. It's sort of a silver-gray in color and has a smooth finish. It feels like it might be Teflon or dry-film coated. Every other receiver extension I've seen had a finish similar to that of your typical upper or lower.

Is this an LMT thing? Does it have something to do with the SOPMOD stock? Who else (if anyone) makes receiver extensions like this? I have no complaints. I'm just curious. I know someone will ask me, "What's up with that buffer tube?" and I'd like to have an answer for them.

Derek
    Howdy Derek,

It is a LMT thing. They coat their RE's with some kind of Teflon to make them slicker. No one else does this.

C4

Feedback Score
    +1

My LMT with the standard M4 stock have the same gray finish and mine was a '05 model, it's a LMT thing.

Congrats, welcome to the LMT club.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks, Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15A3 View Post
    Congrats, welcome to the LMT club.
    Yeah, I think I'm already hooked...

Derek

Feedback Score
    Grant, can you tell me what they use so I can coat my 04 LMT Tube to match my new LMT Tube on my LMT Lower? What do I need to buy?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDBILL View Post
    Grant, can you tell me what they use so I can coat my 04 LMT Tube to match my new LMT Tube on my LMT Lower? What do I need to buy?
    I honestly don't know, but it appears to be some kind of teflon.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well, in my continuing quest to dissect my new lower, I have come up with another question. What kind of buffer comes standard in an LMT lower? I only have experience with CAR and rifle buffers. The LMT one "feels" heavier than my CAR buffer, but I don't have a scale sensitive enough to weigh them accurately. It has no markings on it whatsoever. Again, I'm just curious. I'd like to know what I'm starting out with in case I run into any issues in the future.

Anyone? Grant?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    Well, in my continuing quest to dissect my new lower, I have come up with another question. What kind of buffer comes standard in an LMT lower? I only have experience with CAR and rifle buffers. The LMT one "feels" heavier than my CAR buffer, but I don't have a scale sensitive enough to weigh them accurately. It has no markings on it whatsoever. Again, I'm just curious. I'd like to know what I'm starting out with in case I run into any issues in the future.

Anyone? Grant?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

LMT uses Car buffers.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks again.

Derek