Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archangel armor- finally somebody is thinking

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Archangel armor- finally somebody is thinking

Let face it, body armor design hasn't change much since the Battle of Hastings. The materials evolved, but the designers always want to hang the stuff on your shoulders in a way that is not the best for heavy loads.

Even our modern tactical vests can trace its basic design back to the old Second Chance bullet proof vests. I have always thought there was a better way, and it appears that Archangel may be on to something.

The idea seems simple- use modern backpack design and apply it to a tactical vest.

This may be the answer for troops having to carry lots of stuff on their kit.

Video

http://soldiersystems.net/2008/10/06...mystery-ranch/
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Very interesting...until I FINALLY got the video to work, I imagined a backpack that had the armor integrated...which then begged the question, "What protection do they have if they have to remove the backpack if they're in a vehicle or get to the contents of their pack?"

The video answered that.

As a new innovation (how's that for redundant?), something just doesn't seem "right", but that's just the whole "it's new and the status quo has worked" thinking.

Wasn't Crye's original armor chassis sort of a similar set up...taking the weight off the shoulders and putting it onto the hips? I can't recall....

I am still now sure how the whole 'clip-on' backpack thing will work. It was tried with several assault vests (widely seen on TV during Stargate SG-1) previously, and if it was such a good idea, my thought is why didn't that idea survive?

I tried it a couple times using a vest, and the problem wasn't getting the pack off (except for the bottom buckles), it was putting it back on...it required a second person or the removal of the vest. How can this be overcome?

If nothing else, I think this out-of-the-box thinking can only lead to improvements in armor carriage systems.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Wasn't Crye's original armor chassis sort of a similar set up...taking the weight off the shoulders and putting it onto the hips? I can't recall....
    the crye chassis is semi-rigid, and was designed to support and distribute the load more evenly - sort of like a frame sheet in a pack.

dana gleason from mystery ranch is involved in the archangel armour design by supplying the base frame, and also a pack that links directly to the base frame.

Feedback Score
    Looks cool, and I agree that it's better putting the weight on the waist than on the back, but I'm not sold on the attaching pack for reasons Tim brought up. Since that seems to be the only way to integrate a pack with this armor without doubling up on straps over the shoulders, I don't think this armor/pack system is quite ready just yet. I do like the idea of designing armor and packs to integrate with one another, though. On a side note, they seem to be going against the more recent trend in armor for raising the lowest edge of the armor, which might account for not being able to wear a belt in conjunction with this armor system.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bac,

I am not even worried about the pack aspect of it yet, probably since I don't ever wear a large pack, like the majority of the soldiers in Iraq. A Stan is different.

MM, as you know, I have been using the Crye chassis for the past few years. I am thinking that even the CAGE could benefit from this system. One issue I have with the CAGE is how the rear plate sticks out. It does catch on a lot of things. Someone needs to come up with a pouch system to fill the sides, such as water bladders. I want something custom made to the shape of the CAGE.

In some ways I feel that kit development has reached a chokepoint, due to the weight of armor. Once lightweight armor is a reality, then I think we will see dramatic weight and mass savings.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    MM, as you know, I have been using the Crye chassis for the past few years. I am thinking that even the CAGE could benefit from this system. One issue I have with the CAGE is how the rear plate sticks out. It does catch on a lot of things. Someone needs to come up with a pouch system to fill the sides, such as water bladders. I want something custom made to the shape of the CAGE.
    the issue with that is finding a bladder low profile enough, and the right shape. as you probably know, i have both the Gen I and CAGE crye chassis, and have give it a lot of thought (out of personal interest in making accessories for it). the rear plate sticks out maybe 1" or 1.5", but water bladders tend to bulge into a cylinder shape when full. even the baffled ones create two cylinders. the side-mounted crye pouches with 70oz reservoirs do fill the space on each side of the plate, and are much lower profile than mounting one in the middle of the back plate, but they still add a couple more inches. so far, i haven't found a long, skinny baffled bladder that would work exactly as i want it to.
    on my CAGE chassis, i have a Source kangaroo canteen mounted to the side of the back plate, and it provides a bit of water for sipping at the range.

besides water bladders - what else did you have in mind that you would you stick there?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MM,

My goal is to not need a backpack at all. Also, to take the "life support" items out of my go bag and use it just for ammo. Basically, have enough on your vest for one or two days of E&E if needed.

My idea looks like a kidney bag, that fits/flows into the space next to the plate. This way, the back of the vest stays flat. I prefer this, not only for riding and driving in vehicles, but also to keep a lower profile in the prone.

I probably want one big, open pouch, and not segmented. The pouch could hold a bladder, or MRE components, sports bars, E&E kit, etc.

Here is a concept pic I made with photoshop.

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    iraq ninja - access to a pouch located there would probably be limited to when you take the armour off. even with some kind of release - it's difficult to reach or put back on without help. would that be an issue?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not an issue for me in my role. Might be an issue for Mil folks. This is for stuff you only have to access in your patrol base or laying up position.

Another idea would be to have a pack that hooks around the rear plate, and "wings" out on the sides like my picture.

I also want to develop the idea of using the blast belt without suspenders. The idea came from Caleb Crye, who reported that some of his Tier One customers were using them this way. You just spin the belt around your waist to access things.

BTW, what the name of the velcro style stuff used to hold the pads to the inside of the CAGE, and would it work on mag pouches instead of regular velcro?
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i think the velcro material was called veltex, but don't quote me on that. i can't remember exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast