Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grammar question

Feedback Score
    2 commas.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    Please pick up ham, turkey, and bread from the store.
    This is correct.

Please pick up ham, turkey and bread from the store.
    This is the way newspaper reporters, Newsweek editors, and other Satan-worshippers write it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I was taught in school that when using the word AND, it is not necessary to add the comma. I went to catholic school so God must have told them so. Only on M4C would we have a thread dedicated to commas! I LOVE IT!!!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Why I carry a gun

Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    You never know when a panda's gonna show up for a sandwich.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I was taught in school that when using the word AND, it is not necessary to add the comma. I went to catholic school so God must have told them so.
    Yeah, but they also told you that you'd go blind if you touched yourself, and since you're reading M4C I think you've exhaustively disproved that one.
    Last edited by ToddG; 10-16-09 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Although I have been forced to renounce Satan and his ways at more than one baptism, I prefer one comma except in cases where the lack of a comma would lead to ambiguity (à la, those poor horses mentioned above).

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Yeah, but they also told you that you'd go blind if you touched yourself, and since you're reading M4C I think you've exhaustively disproved that one.
    My computer screen is in brail just like the drive up ATM.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is perhaps the most epic thread in the history of M4C.

Capt. Kirk....pure gold!

Oh and according to the MLA handbook (6th ed.) I have, it would advocate the use of the serial comma in this situation.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i'd go with how captain kirk would say it:
    Please. Pick up...ham. Turkey. And bread. Fromthestore.
    Awesome! I would typically only use one comma in the original example.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I was in grade school in the 80's I was taught that no comma before the and was the old way, and a comma before the and was the new way, and preferable. Now things are going back to the old way.

I prefer the comma before the and because it eliminates any chance of ambiguity. Newspapers don't like it because some bean counter probably figured out that not using the comma saved a few dollars on ink each year.

But arguing this fine point is the least of my criticisms of the poor level of writing by many people. I've worked with managers two levels up from me who can't or won't use complete sentences. It's always "random thought...random thought...dumb idea...dumb question..." strung together with elipses. I once had a manager who's writing was so poor I had trouble understanding what he really mean - it could be interpreted several different ways.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast