Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bungee Tourniquet

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bungee Tourniquet

Just saw this new item at Blackheart International. Interesting concept, and I am all for smaller, lighter, and better. But I want to wait till I hear some feedback from medical SMIs.

http://www.bhigear.com/bungee_tourniquet.aspx

Price will be 9.95 when they are back in stock.

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I am curious how the width of the cord impacts the efficiency of the device.

Granted, things have changed a great deal since my days as a paramedic. We were still using leeches and incantations then. I do remember this new thing called "gauze".

But I do recall a stated desire that TQ straps be at least an inch wide. But if you wrapped the bungee correctly, you might get that inch.

Thanks for the heads up on the new gear, and stay safe. I hope you get to watch the Red River shootout today.

Feedback Score
    Like SeriousStudent, my understanding of effective tourniquets require a little width for the strap. Screwing around a little with my CAT touni, which has a fairly wide strap, I'd hate to imagine the strap being any narrower.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Recognizing that anything is better than bleeding to death, I, too find the OD of the bungee strap small. TQs should be at least 1" wide to provide effective compression, and prevent the circumferential tissue damage a smaller strap does.

I know I would not be able to get them cleared for field trials in EMS.

Last resort/contingency personal use only.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Depends on the material, surgical tubing has long been accepted as an effective tourniquet when wrapped around a limb a sufficient number of times. If you can pull it tight enough (like surgical tubing not automotive bungee cords) you merely have to wrap it a sufficient number of times to create a 1-2" pressure surface. The bigger question is whether or not you can quickly and efficiently place it into service one handed, and does it have an acceptably small footprint when stowed.

Feedback Score
    It looks too narrow to me. I would pass on that.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Seems as though you wrap it a couple times effectively increasing the surface area. Seems pretty fast but not quite as fast as some that you can leave in place on your limbs and deploy them when they're needed.

Feedback Score
    I'd pass. That thin, the risk of tissue damage is too high IMO.
    Something like the SWAT Tourniquet or the H&H TOuniquik 4 would be a better, low cost, small size, option without the risks.

Feedback Score
    I know guys that have been carrying bungee TQs for years now. They aren't terribly dissimilar to the rubber tubing TQ that was suggested for military issue as far back as 1945 and was recommended for issue within the Canadian military in late 2004.
    "He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers." -- Charles Peguy

I currently teach for Tactical Response.

I have taught for Options for Personal Security, Tac Pro Shooting Center, and Shivworks, as well as teaching under my own banner.

I have given presentations at Tom Given's Polite Society Conferences, the National Tactical Invitational and Gabe Suarez's WarriorTalk Symposia.

Feedback Score
    Cause it works. Its cheap, simple, effective, and readily available. (used to be)

What it is NOT is easy to apply one handed. It is only effective for treating others.

And again the size of the tubing is not a concern. You wrap it 4-5 times around the limb creating a diffuse pressure surface rather than simply pulling it tight enough to pinch off the blood flow.

Just because it works as a tourniquet doesnt make it a good choice for taking care of yourself if you get hit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast