Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was I right to walk away ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Never said nor implied that you did.

These types of posts (I'm seen many examples of them in my time) usually go a certain way:

The OP posts what happened and asks "did I do the right thing?" The OP posts this in a place where he feels that he will find affirmation of his actions. Usually he is right and immediately other posters begin praising whatever action it was that the OP took. This usually involves pulling a gun on someone ("drawdown") or beating the shit out of someone, etc.

Then someone like me posts a dissenting opinion, saying that you need to exercise extreme self-control as a civilian carrying a gun, and that you need to even resolve yourself to eating crow on occasion. The OP does not like this and neither do the majority of the other posters in the thread. After all - everybody loves a good fight story, especially when there is an "injustice" involved and the other guy "deserved it."

The OP then becomes *very* defensive , even though the original point of the thread was supposedly asking for opinions on the course of action. As the thread plays out, it becomes apparent that the OP wanted a simple *affirmation* rather than honest (possibly dissenting) opinions.

sandman99and9, I think you did the right thing disengaging after one punch and getting out of there. Just trying to give you some food for thought for further down the road.
    Katar, thanks for the heads up. you are right about what could have happened. I got my anger under controll and got my family out of there. I have thick skin and welcome all advice/info on this site with open ears.

S.M.
    "I'd rather have a Bloody Mary made from the bandage drippings of a dozen Ebola victims than watch BattleField Earth again."

SeriousStudent

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Stay in the truck. No reason to get out of shelter. Were he to breach that shelter to aggress further, it gives you additional credibility as victim, and bolsters your justification for using force to repel him.

Get your family, and leave the area. No matter how right or justified you are, you're still a guy involved in a fist fight with a drunk. Call the manager from home or your cell phone.
    My wife was still inside and would have had to walk by the ass to get to my vehicle. That was why I drove around front to get her and let the manager know what was up. Trying to get out of the area and go home was the only thing on my mind. No hero/tough guy mindset here.

S.M.
    "I'd rather have a Bloody Mary made from the bandage drippings of a dozen Ebola victims than watch BattleField Earth again."

SeriousStudent

Feedback Score
    I agree with NCPatrolAR.

Do what you have to do and head out.

At this point you still are the "victim" in a investifation. To proceed with the confrontation would cause problems.

Keep your eye on the prize, your family is safe and no issues getting the CCW permit.
    Last edited by Doggiecop; 10-17-09 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    Or, you could have landed a perfect punch on a drunk guy causing him to fall and bust his head open. In either case, it is not unlikley or uncommon for one punch to knock someone out permanently.
    Just for a specific example, a friend of mine was drunk and apparently hitting on a guy's wife—guy throws one punch (the only one thrown) and knocks him to the ground, he hits his head on a curb and dies a week later. Though the punch was ruled self-defense, there are still numerous repercussions that come even when something like that is justified.

Though I haven't been in a great number of situations where physical violence was an issue, I've had more luck using communication skills to defuse a situation (even if it involves acquiescing to an idiot) and getting out of there than I have with the physical part. Even if you win, the prizes pretty much suck.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I agree that confronting him was a mistake. I CC daily and I have to let crap slide because of that. While I have had to DD once, the massive consequences of my actions made me think twice before I did(that alone can get you killed). In a perfect world I would never have to worry about getting caught up in the legal system and justify why, but we live in a society that fears us. That fear gives gives me the drive to be a lot safer and think a lot more before I act.

I let idiots be idiots and they go on their way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good for you. The idiot will learn his full lesson elsewhere someday and fortunately it won't be at your expense. All's well that ends well.

Also...glad I'm not the only one such wacky shit happens to.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Man you did what you had to do I would not have personally gotten out of the truck when it first happened. But once you pulled up to the front to pick up your wife yea I would have gotten out of the truck to make sure my wife had safe passage to enter the truck and to make sure dip shit wouldn't have over powered her when she was trying to get in it then threatening my whole family. And if he would have shoved me damn straight I would have popped him. Just has the other poster stated if you can get that nose it works. I would not have payed any attention to his screaming old lady just to make sure my wife was in the truck and me getting behind the driver seat.

You did fine just remember to try to stay in the truck and only leave it only if you most have to. You hit him once he went down that is all you should have done. If you started cleaning his clock then you would have been the bad guy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Man you did what you had to do I would not have personally gotten out of the truck when it first happened. But once you pulled up to the front to pick up your wife yea I would have gotten out of the truck to make sure my wife had safe passage to enter the truck and to make sure dip shit wouldn't have over powered her when she was trying to get in it then threatening my whole family. And if he would have shoved me damn straight I would have popped him. Just has the other poster stated if you can get that nose it works. I would not have payed any attention to his screaming old lady just to make sure my wife was in the truck and me getting behind the driver seat.

You did fine just remember to try to stay in the truck and only leave it only if you most have to. You hit him once he went down that is all you should have done. If you started cleaning his clock then you would have been the bad guy.

Word to the wise; keep your attention on anyone with the aggressor. Especially spouses/girlfriends

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Someday you *will* have your ccw (hopefully) and you will then need to re-evaluate how you deal with situations such as these. It's hard for +P males to do this, but when you are carrying a firearm you cannot allow yourself to get into physical altercations if at all possible. It's not worth it. Avoid, de-escalate, safely retreat if you can.
    ^^This^^ should really be a sticky!!

I know I tend to handle situations (like road rage) in a much more controlled manner when I'm carrying. The thought of having to use deadly force really helps keep me cool & I notice I get way more riled up when similar situations happen and I do not have a gun on me.

We humans are funny creatures....I have to spend time in Mexico because of my sales rep job and it's white knuckled driving over there, not to mention the drug element which is really creepy. I will let the maniacs go and try to get to the plants and back across the rio asap and in constant awareness to the point of stress.

Funny thing is I expect more respect out of drivers on the U.S. side and get overly wound up over similar situations coming to and from the P.O.E.?? This really is silly on my part.

Sandman, I think having your family with you helped you walk away, just like a rational person with a ccw. It helps focus on what is important. What would have happened if said compadre / alpha male buddy was with you instead of the family??

We need to prioritize and try to keep thinks on a level field. Beating up a drunk doing pee-pee & the following soap with leo certainly is not worth the hassle.

Sorry if I shoot you all the finger on the way to church tomorrow.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Word to the wise; keep your attention on anyone with the aggressor. Especially spouses/girlfriends
    Belive me I would have kept my eyes on her but I would not gotten physical with here unless I had no choice I wouldn't want to upset the guy I just popped even more and or pissed off any potential witnesses to the event by getting confrontational with her.

I have been on this rodeo once or twice before
    You are right I probable should have picked my words a little better.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 10-17-09 at 22:31.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast