Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Surprised you brought him up.
    Dude, that's cold!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Dude, that's cold!
    Thanks for not bringing it up how I knew it was a he.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Surprised you brought him up.

On the video, I guess we don't do Laws anymore? The only problem I had with it is at 8:30 where they try to say that the science of sending the space probes is as well known as how evolution occurs. I think what they are trying to say is that the scientfic method is used to understand both, but I don't know anyone who thinks that we undestand genetic expression and changes as well as we understand gravity.
    Gravity is not a scientific law as far as what causes it. A force (in this case gravity) can be established, but it's actual cause, not. Gravity is to this day, one of the most poorly understood forces, and I'll wager to say we know far more about genetic expression. Newton's "law" of gravity was replaced with Einstein's General Relativity theory. That theory states that a large body (earth for example) will distort the time/space fabric, which causes gravity. Although the effect has indeed been confirmed (note I didn't use the word "proven" because that's not how science works...) it is very much called Einstein's theory General Relativity.

If you are using Newtons law of gravity, which more or less says if you drop an object here it will fall to the ground, then yes, as far as I know, that's still referred to as "law."

However, Gravitational "Theory" is an attempted explanation of the phenomenon we use to explain the force of gravity, and that's using Einstein's theory General Relativity.

In scientific circles, I believe most will refer to "gravitational theory" not law. Hope that makes sense.....

That's my take on it at least.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-18-09 at 14:05.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for not bringing it up how I knew it was a he.
    Is that you Bruce?!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    On a similar theme, a MUST watch video which looks at the pitfalls of arguing against (in this case science but it really could apply to any topic..) from incomprehension or emotion vs objectivity and data:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9Xn...layer_embedded

I am super interested in science and physics. But, fifty seconds along the way the film ridicules anyone who sees the big-bang as a theory rather than as a fact. It essentially but clearly states that anyone who doesn't agree with it being fact is ignorant.

Problem with that is even the best physicists disagree on many aspects of the big bang, as well as various mainstream theories (See: Quantum, String, "Brane" theories). So it was then that I tuned out, good or bad.

No truly educated physicist boasts knowing everything about the origin of the universe, so the assumption is ridiculous. And to say it is a given that every spec of matter in the universe fit inside an atom prior to the big-bang is really just pushing the limits of imagination's imagination.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 10-18-09 at 15:09.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    I sometimes wonder if the science shows on TV are as accurate as the gun shows. That is what worries me.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12