Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.5" AR ballistics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks like a typo. I wouldn't go as far as saying the dude doesn't know what he's talking about, but it might be a typo.

Google safariland III vest

Correction is: safariland IIIA vest

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    nevermind...
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 10-18-09 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I tried to do some research on the T2 bullet that is utilized in the TAP 5.56mm cartridge. What I found was that it offers about 180fps more muzzle velocity than the standard .223 version which equates to an additional 50-75yards worth of fragmentation range.

This could explain the good performance out of such a short barrel. Then again I am in ignoramus when it comes to this. Can anyone confirm this?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I read that article. I don't think the author knows that there is a difference between III and IIIA. Other than that, I'm going to bite my tongue with regard to any further commentary on the article or the author, except to say that ending a point with "NOT!" is pretty telling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I read that article. I don't think the author knows that there is a difference between III and IIIA. Other than that, I'm going to bite my tongue with regard to any further commentary on the article or the author, except to say that ending a point with "NOT!" is pretty telling.
    Yeah... They let anyone write articles for that magazine!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    I tried to do some research on the T2 bullet that is utilized in the TAP 5.56mm cartridge. What I found was that it offers about 180fps more muzzle velocity than the standard .223 version which equates to an additional 50-75yards worth of fragmentation range.

This could explain the good performance out of such a short barrel. Then again I am in ignoramus when it comes to this. Can anyone confirm this?
    5.56 TAP is indeed loaded to higher velocity and is more desirable for that reason over standard .223 TAP.

Like DocGKR said - it wouldn't make a difference against a IIIa plate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There are USG test reports available to select LE and military organizations, but I am unaware of any valid open source test results at this time.
    Could you give a brief summary of what there is that works best (if any) without violating any confidentiality agreement? Or maybe a rough summary?

Feedback Score
    For ultra SBR use, consider sticking with barrier blind projectiles vice fragmenting ones. Also, for very short barrel weapons, a faster twist rate may be necessary to ensure an appropriate rotational velocity to maximize the terminal performance of some types of projectiles...

Feedback Score
    IIRC in an article i read about Noveskes, that John routinely takes his 7.5" barrel out to 100 yds. i have a friend with an AR set up with a 7.5" (5.56) and we have not had any problem hitting the target at 100 yds., now what remains to be seen is if it would penetrate a vest at 100yds. as neither him or i wish to put up the money to get a vest, then fill it with holes, i guess we will never find out. i know at extended ranges (past 200yds.) that the projo velocity is marginally slower than the same one from a longer barrel.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Where did this idea come from that a 7.5" barrel would be any less accurate than a 16" barrel of the same quality?

and in a real "what the F---" moment, how did this idea of penetrating a soft armor vest become any kind of barometer for terminal performance?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast