Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: modern "fighting bolt gun" hypothetical- update at end

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    IMHO, Remington 7615 Police and 7600 Police would be good choices. The Australian government banned further import of the 7615P (due to the ability to use M-16 magazines), but the 7600 Police is still legal there. I've heard that is a popular option in Australia.
    Last edited by NoBody; 10-18-09 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How about one of those pump .308s?
    I hear they have durability issues, and that the pump can be stiff to manipulate. They are also heavy.

Discussed here to some extent
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ht=7600&page=4

Feedback Score
    Rob- I recall you posting on that option (the Remington pump action rifle) at SF some time ago. Sounds like you've had a change of heart.

Does anybody do a FAL mag conversion? That'd be pretty pimp, IMO.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I hear they have durability issues, and that the pump can be stiff to manipulate. They are also heavy.

Discussed here to some extent
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ht=7600&page=4
    The Remington pumps smooth out with use. I suppose heavy is relative, but the 7615 (.223 Rem/5.56x45mm) weighs in around 7 lbs (lighter than many tricked-out M4s).
    Last edited by NoBody; 10-18-09 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Steyr Scout
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    British shooters can't own semiautomatics so some buy an AR that has been built without a gas tube. Some gunsmiths mill a slot in the left-hand side of the upper and install a bolt handle (FAL-style) into the carrier so they can shoot, then cycle the action with their left hand.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    egads...if there were no more semi auto's, then a bolt would not be my shtf gun.

I'll take a pre 64 winchester lever.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    egads...if there were no more semi auto's, then a bolt would not be my shtf gun.

I'll take a pre 64 winchester lever.
    +1

I have a '94 Winchester that is over 110 years old and still gets put to work. It's all original sans firing pin and runs flawless.

*However if it had to be a bolt gun...I'd probably go with a cheap and durable milsurp.
    Last edited by bruce_hxc; 10-18-09 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
    Marlin 1894.
    Make it a Marlin 336. .30-30 ammo is everywhere and guns are very reliable in my experience. Although I personally wouldn't want to hunt elk (a friend's uncle does it every year with 170gr flatpoints) or anything larger with one, it is more than sufficient for dear sized game out to 150 yards with flatpoints and farther with the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo.

I am presently in the process of rebuilding a "Western Field Model 33" (Marlin 336 sold by Montgomery Wards to my father over 40 years ago) as what I have heard termed a "redneck assualt rifle" (don't remember where I heard that actually). It's actually a variation of Col. Cooper's Scout Rifle concept.

Other than the original gun, specs will be as follows (in no particular order):

1. XS Sights Lever Rail and Lever Rail Ghost Ring sight set
    2. Burris 2.75X Scout Scope w/QD rings I got in a trade with a friend
    3. New follower and all new springs
    4. Pachmayr recoil pad
    5. Trigger/action job
    6. Cut barrel and magazine tube to 16.?" and install new front site (See #1)
    7. Brockman Custom Cartridge Trap installed in buttstock
    8. DRC Custom Big Loop Lever (larger, easier to use but not hugely oversized like the Wild West Guns lever - I live in Texas not Alaska so huge gloves/mittens are not an issue)
    9. Refinish rifle, scope, and stock (probably GunKote)
    10. Wild West Guns Extractor (more reliable with .30-30AI - See below)
    11. Machined "sidesaddle" style shellholder for receiver (if the gunsmith I know who is experimenting with them can get it to work reliably)

If you don't handload, the .30-30 with Hornady LeverRevolution ammo gives you a Point Blank Range (hold on a spot and everything is in a 6" circle no matter the distance - that's my version of the definition) of 225-250 yards. If you handload, have the chamber reamed to .30-30 Ackley Improved and, using the Hornady LeverRevolution bullets, you can stretch that to around 300 yards. The extra 150-200fps that .30-30AI gives you flattens the trajectory just enough. Mine will be rechambered to .30-30AI.

Once it is done I will post pics. Don't hold your breath, however. Even though I am doing a large chunk of the work myself, I am waiting on a couple of backordered parts currently and then I have to ship the buttstock to Brockman no to mention the fact that I'm waiting in line for the gunsmith to get to me for cutting the barrel and doing the action work. Add that to the pregnant wife watching the budget like a starving hawk (I have been told this project and my next AR build have to come from the same set of funds ) and it will probably be early next year before it is done.

One thing though, whether you end up with a bolt gun (I have several) or a lever gun, practice to work the action without dismounting the gun from your shoulder. One of the reasons I like lever guns for this application is that I can do that and be back on target with the crosshairs faster with a lever gun than a bolt action.

Feedback Score
    EASY 1903 springfield with gunsite scout package.

Stripper clip fed and functional magazine cut off.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 10-19-09 at 10:13.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast