Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: modern "fighting bolt gun" hypothetical- update at end

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does a Pederson Device count?

After that, I think that some sort of short barreled lever action would be nice...
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Am I the only person that thinks a bolt action AR platform has some potential?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Am I the only person that thinks a bolt action AR platform has some potential?
    No. I think the idea has a lot of potential as well. However, the only bolt action AR uppers that I can remember seeing did not seem to be very well executed and felt awkard to use. (I don't remember who made them but it was at the Houston Gun Collectors Show a number of years ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    British shooters can't own semiautomatics so some buy an AR that has been built without a gas tube. Some gunsmiths mill a slot in the left-hand side of the upper and install a bolt handle (FAL-style) into the carrier so they can shoot, then cycle the action with their left hand.
    Now I think this concept has a lot of merit. Being able to work the "bolt" with my left hand while keeping the rifle to my shoulder and maintaining a firing grip with my right hand is very appealing. I would be very interested to see how well it might work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Since the thread title was "bolt gun", that's what I went with in my first post.

Lever actions have merit, but prone shooting can be an issue, as can reloads. Something in a manageable caliber like .357 would be a possibility for a home defense gun for sure, but may not offer much other than capacity over the pump-action shotgun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Since the thread title was "bolt gun", that's what I went with in my first post.

Lever actions have merit, but prone shooting can be an issue, as can reloads. Something in a manageable caliber like .357 would be a possibility for a home defense gun for sure, but may not offer much other than capacity over the pump-action shotgun.

The lever certainly gives you some distance over the shotgun but like you, I would probably grab the scatter if in the home. You can also load up slugs if needed.

The main problem I see in the bolt is the current capacity...now if there was a reliable bolt design that followed the lever & shotgun thought process with the magazine running the length of the bbl, then we might be onto something. An extended drop mag to gain rounds for a bolt seems silly to me.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Whoops, for some reason I thought that any non-auto rifle was in the running, reading is fundamental.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    An extended drop mag to gain rounds for a bolt seems silly to me.
    I think it's perfect, actually. You need to make use of an established magazine type like the FAL or similar so that multiple capacities are available though. Don't want to be trying to shoot from prone if a 20-round magazine is too tall for that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How about one of those pump .308s?
    I hear they have durability issues, and that the pump can be stiff to manipulate. They are also heavy. Discussed here to some extent
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ht=7600&page=4
    Yup. Durability has been an issue, among other things. Phila PD's comments in the thread are spot on. Unless you have to have a shotgun and rifle that operate the same, pass.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't want to be trying to shoot from prone if a 20-round magazine is too tall for that.

Exactly...I guess it' just wierd for me to envision a bolt gun in a high capacity battle situation when their application is currently viewed as a sniper role & we do have the auto's. They certainly had their day and many a man has fallen to bolts in the heat of the fight. Getting away from a 20 round minimum these days is strange to imagine as well. I used to ask my granddad about being able to cope in the south tx heat w/out A/C...he said, "we didn't miss it cuz it wasn't available & no one told us we should be miserable."

Thinking about a world today without an AR / 1911 / autogun is about as depressing as no A/C.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score

Lever Gun

I would actually opt out of the Bolt Guns for a combat rifle and go with a handy Win 1895 Chambered in .44 Magnum for close in work. And a BLR in .308 Win for everything else. Since the rate of fire is being slowed down the added recoil would'nt be an issue.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast