Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Piston Short Barreled uppers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    IP's on this forum are generally required to meet one of two reqs:

E-5/O-3 or above Special Forces
    Weapon designer

After they meet one of these reqs, they are then voted on by the Mods/Staff.

So when one of them says that they did or have done XYZ, you can just about gurantee that they are not blowing smoke up your skirt.

C4
    Grant that is what I meant without knowing who I was actually addressing, was not trying to insult anyone

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
    Grant that is what I meant without knowing who I was actually addressing, was not trying to insult anyone
    No, I know you weren't trying to insult anyone. I just wanted to make sure you knew that forum members were not just randomly selected for no real reason to be IP's.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think you kind of nailed it Will. If you can shoot (meaning putting your rounds where you want) fragmentation doesn't matter.

I believe that are very own KevinB has taken a bad guy with a 10.5 and a M855 round well past the fragmentation range.

C4

That's pretty much in line with most of the GS wounds that I've seen/dealt with. Shot placement is everything, it doesn't matter what magic bullet you're using, or what caliber.

There's WAY too many people that preach "fragmentation/ballistics" on these boards (mostly on TOS). The discussion comes up the most in the "10.5-11.5" threads with a guy saying that a SBR will not kill anything past 50 yards because the bullet won't fragment. I just roll my eyes everytime someone starts ranting about it.

Thanks for your service Will.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had good luck with this piston SBR. It's an LWRC. Over 1K rounds thru it now, only had one malfunction. with light reloads. It runs suppressed just as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    Does anyone have any input on going with a piston system for a short barreled rifle in the .223 AR platform, in an under 12" rifle?

I'm considering going this way, but not sure if piston uppers work well in SBR configurations, and if there would be any gains going with a piston system.

My LMT DI SBR runs great. I'd sit out the piston format wars for now and just get an LMT, Noveske or Colt and call it a day
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    The main issues that a DI SBR with a can encounters are greater wear on bolts and barrels as well as the gas sytem blowing out the lube it needs to keep running.

I think the better fix can be found using a KAC E-3 equipped SBR and lubing it with LT Machine Gunners Lube, that is if you are really looking to find a 'better animal'.

What I do is just lube the crap out of the BCG and replace the standard parts before their service life is questionable. I know that it's not as sexy as the other options, but it does work.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Weasel View Post
    Not entirely accurate. While certainly not issued via the Gov't supply channel, more than a few LWRC 10.5 guns have gone in harms way via some SFG's and performed well.

I'm with the 20th SFG and I use Pert Plus shampoo.

Pert Plus
    The Choice of America's Elite...

There's my endorsement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234