Thread: Slings 2 point to 1 Point Practical?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Slings 2 point to 1 Point Practical?

Know nothing about slings(HELL I know nothing about most subjects on this board) going to make 1st purchase. So what are your thoughts on the 2 point to single point convertible slings, something to consider? Do they have practical applications? Going on a Charles Daly M4LE, home defense and shtf only as I am non LEO or MIL. Do I even need a sling?
    Thanks
    Randy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Even if you decide that you don't need a sling for your defensive purposes, you need one for training purposes. Most people will also argue that you should have one for defense as well, but IMHO the choice is yours.

I like the one-to-two point sling on a lightweight SBR but on 16" guns with rails, lights, and optics I prefer a two-point.

The one-to-two point sling is, for me, more of a training aid. When I run the gun I keep it in one-point mode, but when I'm standing around between drills, talking to the group, doing admin work, resetting equipment, etc. I snap it into two-point mode so that it stays tight to the body.

That said, I don't really like any of the one-to-two point slings on the market, so I modified a BFG VCAS two-point so that it can convert back and forth.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...hlight=vickers

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Even if you decide that you don't need a sling for your defensive purposes, you need one for training purposes.
    This is a very good point that sometimes gets glossed-over.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Randy,

As a home defender or SHTF participant, most of your time with your rifle with be administrative. Two point slings are the best for this.

As a test, try wearing a rifle for a full day and not a two hour range fest.

I currently use a magpul sling in conjunction with one of those Blue Force Gear loops through my FSB, not because it is the perfect setup, but because of my situation. I do a lot of driving now, and a driver can't have a carbine slung and still drive well.

I undo the sling at the FSB, jam the carbine between the driver seat and the center console. I then lay the sling across the seat, S rolled under by butt. I then hook the sling to my blast belt on my right hip. My ass on the sling keeps it from moving and having it attached to me means I won't jump out and forget it (it does happen as I found out once under stress). I am left handed. I jump out and move the weapon to my left hand while the sling now goes over my left shoulder. In this configuration, it is technically a one point sling and still attached to my belt. I then unhook the end with my right and clamp it back on the FSB.

Vickers and VTAC are both great slings. I find the Vickers a bit too thick for my needs while wearing lots of armor and my VTAC has lasted three years with no problems at all. My home guns have Vickers slings.

My point with this long dissertation is that a sling is like any other piece of kit. If you don't have a particular need for a certain style in a specific situation, then keep it simple. The two point is simple.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I undo the sling at the FSB, jam the carbine between the driver seat and the center console. I then lay the sling across the seat, S rolled under by butt. I then hook the sling to my blast belt on my right hip. My ass on the sling keeps it from moving and having it attached to me means I won't jump out and forget it (it does happen as I found out once under stress). I am left handed. I jump out and move the weapon to my left hand while the sling now goes over my left shoulder. In this configuration, it is technically a one point sling and still attached to my belt. I then unhook the end with my right and clamp it back on the FSB.
    That is really clever!
    I am going to try that out next time I am doing vehicle training.

Back on topic-

There are a lot more people that go from single point slings to tactical 2-points than the other way around.
    I personally find that a properly adjusted 2-point does everything a 1-point does.
    I do have some use for single point slings, but I employ a weapon-catch along with it since it lacks front-end control.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I find myself entertaining a weapons catch for the very same reason.
    Good point FTS.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    At work we run Troy single pionts. I put the loop of the sling over the front of the barrel and against the front sight base so it does not catch on the rack or anything else when getting it out. I can deploy the rifle and run it with the sling in this possition. If I have time I just point the barrel down and it falls off allowing me to sling the rifle.

Here is a pic of the set up in the rack.

I run Vickers 2 point on my personal guns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The one-to-two point sling is, for me, more of a training aid. When I run the gun I keep it in one-point mode, but when I'm standing around between drills, talking to the group, doing admin work, resetting equipment, etc. I snap it into two-point mode so that it stays tight to the body.
    This.

I recently switched from a Blue Force Gear single point to the Magpul MS2 for this reason. It sucked standing around during class with my single point and I really wished I could have switched it over to two point config easy. I used a VCAS for almost a year but it just wasn't for me.