Thread: 9mm AR recoil compared to 5.56mm.

Feedback Score

9mm AR recoil compared to 5.56mm.

What is the comparison? I am thinking of getting one for my fiance for a lower recoil weapon.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I find the 9mm AR to recoil more than the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I find the 9mm AR to recoil more than the 5.56.
    same, other than a .22, any blow-back AR is most likely going to have more felt recoil

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've found there to be a slight difference in perceived recoil, with the 9mm having a little more, but I've also found that to be offset by the reduction in blast and flash that a 9mm round displays compared to a 5.56mm, when having a novice shooter behind the trigger.

And we're talking about a very slight recoil in any case, be it 5.56mm or 9mm. Certainly less than an open bolt UZI sub gun.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Lower flash and more of a push than a pop, in comparison to 5.56 recoil. Both 5.56 and 9mm are very light recoil though. 9mm with a novice shooter is pretty ideal. Or 5.56 with a suppressor.

You can mitigate the perception of the 9mm AR recoil even more by slowing the whole cycle down with heavier buffers and tungsten weighted carriers. I loved how my SAW LE Sales carrier and 9X buffer performed.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 10-22-09 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    I have a stock 6450 and a M4orgery Stag upper w/ a FSC556 .... the 9mm has a more choppy/chunky recoil (I am a lowly 30 Civil Tech and Not a Engineer so excuse the answer) than my 4orgery ... but ... in Pistol Cal Carbine matches I can put two rounds center mass three fingers apart target after target ..... I might guess my splits are a little slower.....Sure is a LOT quieter

H

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman2000 View Post
    What is the comparison? I am thinking of getting one for my fiance for a lower recoil weapon.
    My RRA 9mm kicks a lot more than my 5.56 weapons mostly due to the blow back operation vs a gas system.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I remember shooting a friends 9mm upper that he had mounted on a standard A2 lower with the full buttstock and long buffer and the felt recoil was very light.

Feedback Score
    I do not have time on a 9mm setup, but I know a 5.7 is a lot lighter recoiling then 5.56. Would be nice for a light shooter.

Feedback Score
    I noticed the barrel on my AR6450 doesn't heat up as fast, either. I haven't messed with the buffer assembly (mostly because I don't know which buffer & buffer spring combination would be an improvement) but I'm not sure if the recoil is greater or is just different.