Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Florida area Drills/Practice nights - First Tuesday of every month

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sounds great, Rob - thanks for the update.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Great night last night.

I particularly enjoyed the first drill that we ran since it really made you slow the hell down and think about your holdovers. The fundamentals never get old and even the most experienced shooters should be practicing simple drills just to stay in check.

I got a chance to run my M&P compact for the first time through some of the drills and i was pleased to get the chance to finally be able to transition with the damned thing. Thanks Rob!

All in all, a good night with lots of good practice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    January will hopefully incorporate all the things we've been working on over the last couple of months. Fundamentals, movement, reloads, transitions, holdover, and fundamentals. And maybe more of those bowling-pin targets if people will stop shooting the damn stands!

5 January 2010!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    how do you know you had a good night of transition drills? Pile of AK mags on the deck from stripping the empty magazine and setting it up again!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We're on again for tonight. Depending on how cold it is and what kind of turnout we get we may be working a few different things.

Right now the plan is for a review of reloads, shooting on the move, and transitions to pistol, and then getting into some dynamic drills encompassing all three.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Great night last night.

It was as cold as its ever been down here if not colder and it sure made for some interesting arctic style training.

Thanks for a very fun night Rob.

Guys, if you've got a carbine, half a brain and a desire to shoot with a bunch of safe, switched on dudes...come on out, you wont be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bumping, yet again, for tonight.

you can keep an eye on twitter.com/tyv2009 for weather and other updates.

Tonight is shooting on the move. Moving in, moving laterally, combining them, and still getting your hits!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    15 shooters out last night. I actually got some pictures and video I'll try to post. Worked on moving while shooting, moving in, moving right, moving left.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After we covered the basics of shooting on the move, we set up three barrels in an "L" shape, and target ID targets with numbers, colors, and shapes. The shooters were required to move along the row of barrels in the L, and then place one round in either the shape, color, or number they were assigned. They were told to load & make ready, given their assignment, given a chance to assess the target array, and after a nod to indicate they were ready, tapped on the shoulder to give them the go-ahead to begin.

We did the evolution once with single rounds to each target, and then twice with two rounds to each target.

By assigning the shape/color/number not only did the shooter have to focus on something other than just moving and shooting, but it also gave me a way to evaluate their hits as they went through the drill without having to paste between each shooter. Many, many shooters holdovers went completely out the window with everything else they had to focus on.

Last edited by rob_s; 02-03-10 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    24 shooters last night! Two relays, 13 and 11 (not sure how that happened).

Spent 2.5 hours on transitions to handgun. We began with our usual brief demonstration of mechanical offset of the sighting device over boreline and how to compensate with proper holdover. We had quite a few shooters that were new to us so we did this a few times at 7 yards, and a few at 10.

Then we moved to simply drawing and firing the pistol which we did several times to observe proficiency of the group. After which we did dryfire carbine, transition to pistol, before going hot with the carbine.

We engaged a single target, multiple shape targets (see photo above) beginning with one call out for the carbine, and one for the handgun. So "six, yellow" means engage the 6 with your carbine until empty, transition to pistol and engage the yellow. We did this several times but a brief rain rendered the paper targets all but useless.

We then went to engaging multiple targets. A call out of "left" meant engage the body of your own target with the carbine until empty, transition to pistol and engage the head of the target to your left.

We finished up with body/head on your own target, this time at 10 yards after all previous drills were at 7.

In all I think that each shooter got somewhere on the order of 20 live-fire repetitions on transitions, and we saw a definite and noticeable improvement in the group as a whole from the dryfire run at 19:30 to the final live-fire at 10 yards at 21:30. The new guys took their time, made sure to understand the motions, and saw marked improvement because of it.

We did see a LOT of gear issues, which appear in some cases to be getting worse not better. Regular guys using drop-legs that they'll never use in the real world all because their carry holster won't work with their chest rig. Ummm, you're doing it wrong. Get a chest rig that works with your carry holster, not the other way around.

The truth of the matter is that the shooters that have the easiest go of things are working out of their carry holster, a single pistol mag on the belt, one or two carbine mags on the belt, and a dump pouch or cargo pocket to carry an extra magazine or loose ammo. I think the most we've ever required at drills night is 3 magazines (one in the gun, two on you) and we often use loose rounds to set up specific drills over and over again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast