Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SE Florida area Drills/Practice nights - First Tuesday of every month

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Another great night of training.

Thanks for the effort Rob. Its a shame the targets got a little too excited and ended up all slippery and wet on the ground.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After a two-month hiatus I was back running drills this past Tuesday, the 6th of July, and anticipate being back out again for the August 3 drills.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Drills night last night was something special.

Im really not sure why i enjoyed it as much as i did but alot of good quality shooting was done.

The balance between precision and speed was quite fun, especially with the varied targets and the level of interest amongst the students. For some strange reason i felt as though the students really picked up on the mood and shot better as a class than normal.

Accuracy standards were high last night and everyone seemed to make the mark.

Kudos to Rob for putting together a really great training curriculum.

Some videos from last night showing the last drill of the evening, the Vtac 2X2X2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81lbzYRaLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndW7K3Zk0s

An example of a drill we ran requiring speed and precision.

5 shots to the body into an 8 inch circle on an IDPA target and then two shots to what is essentially the brain bucket.

Look at the speed at which the shooter on the left completes the drill. Essentially half the time that it took me to shoot my course of fire. Both shooters made their hits. The difference is that my shots were grouped in a quarter sized hole and his spread was varied. Moral of the story, 1 the shooter on the left is even more precise and quick with an aimpoint T1 which is just plain scary and 2, i need to speed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o1-8m11UvY
    Last edited by Magsz; 08-04-10 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Some videos from last night showing the last drill of the evening, the Vtac 2X2X2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81lbzYRaLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndW7K3Zk0s
    Hopefully we demonstrated that firing hammers is actually slower than firing at a cadence. If not we'll revisit it next month with an all-VTAC drills night!

The shooters are definitely "getting it". Couple that with having someone else siphon off the totally new shooters before they get to our group and we're able to progress much, much faster. Watching the majority of the guys hit the paster on the first attempt and the rest walk it in in short order made me very happy.

I'm glad you're enjoying coming out, and thanks for the kudos.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Next drills night, Tuesday 7 September, we're doing an all VTAC night.

1-5 Drill

2x2x2 drill

Triple Threat drill

Rifle El Prez drill

and maybe the

9-Hole drill

and if time permits the

Highsmith drill

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For those of us that paid attention Rob had the fastest run of the evening and he was probably the only one shooting the way Mr Lamb advocates.

For me, im too inexperienced to do anything other than fire the way i fired in the video. It just happened to work out the way it did where i was pressing the trigger when i had an adequate sight picture.

Ive NEVER trained to do hammers, it just kind of worked out that way. I think it has to do with me being a goofy white kid with absolutely zero rhythm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I cant believe I missed this! Since I have to plan my time and finances out accordingly, I am going to try to make it for the october or november shoot!
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Special drills night Tuesday, 31 August 2010 @ 18:30

Who: All Safe Shooters
    What: Carbine and Shotgun drills night (pick one or the other, not both)
    Where: Markham Park Target Range, western Broward County
    When: Tuesday, 31 August 2010 @ 18:30
    Why: For practice!
    How:

Carbine shooters will need
    • Carbine (centerfire or rimfire, either is fine, prefer magazine-fed)
    • Rifle Case (know which end is the muzzle end, all guns arrive at range cased)
    • Sling that hangs the carbine muzzle-down (test this on your own at home before you come out!)
    • Magazines (at least two, more is better, load them all up)
    • Magazine pouch (at least one, two is better, chest rigs and vest are fine too)
    • Ammo (suggest at least 200 rounds)

Shotgun shooters will need
    • Shotgun
    • Shotgun Case (know which end is the muzzle end, all guns arrive at range cased)
    • Sling (if you have one, they'll likely work with you if you don't)
    • Ammo (I have been told all you need is birdshot which leads me to believe it will be all on steel)
    • Ammo carriage (having a bag or pouch to carry ammo on your person makes things much easier for all involved)
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-12-10 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    SAWEET!!!!

Im in! Ill be back in town by then!

Thanks for the efforts Rob!

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking about comming out. It's just a hell of a drive from Tampa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast