Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SE Florida area Drills/Practice nights - First Tuesday of every month

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yikes! While I certainly don't want to discourage anyone, we don't do anything terribly earth-shattering. You are welcome to come out if you'd like, but that's a hell of a haul just to shoot some drills.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yikes! While I certainly don't want to discourage anyone, we don't do anything terribly earth-shattering. You are welcome to come out if you'd like, but that's a hell of a haul just to shoot some drills.
    The out door range is appealing to me. The ones around here suck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hippieslayer View Post
    I'm thinking about coming out. It's just a hell of a drive from Tampa
    I would actually contemplate driving over there for the all-VTAC night.

I agree there is nothing in Tampa worth a crap.
    As required: "I work for ITS Tactical as an editor".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CENTCOM_Survivor View Post
    I would actually contemplate driving over there for the all-VTAC night.

I agree there is nothing in Tampa worth a crap.
    I originally thought that Guncraft in Ruskin was showing some promise. I called them and asked about rapid fire, drawing from a holster and transisions. They replied yes, you can, with the $250 yearly membership.

So somehow the $250 yearly membership makes me more qualified to perform higher risk shooting activities vs. the $35 monthly membership. I'm not about to spend $250 a year on a membership when I'm home here for maybe a month a year on leave, and that equates to probably actually using the range a couple days out of the year.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well it sounds like if you guys are going to cone over you should try to team up and carpool. Sept 7 will be the all-VTAC night. I think we're going to start with 2x2x2 then 1-5 and go from there.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Three shooters shooting the modified triple threat drill.

Really nice balance of speed and accuracy for this drill and i enjoyed it quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUF0iAGhOIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNhJmrtJinM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgvOMJan2d8

I walked away from this with a few observations.

1. Mathematically i see why shooting in cadence actually works. Too bad i am the whitest bastard on the planet, have zero rhythm and simply cannot get this to work for me.
    2. My target transitions are slow, ive got to speed this up.
    3. Adhering to a personal standard of accuracy and understanding the balance between precision and speed is paramount. You've got to know how fast you can go without sacrificing your ability to get hits.

Awesome night Rob, very well put together, thank you!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Awesome night Rob, very well put together, thank you!
    Glad you liked it.

The last string in that video of me shooting makes me laugh. It's over before it starts!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks to the guys that came out and shot with me last night. Despite the late start we got exactly everything done that i wanted to or that we needed to. Only thing that would have changed with more time is we would have taped/pasted more. The bad news is that without that way of keeping guys honest some people were just blasting away without much regard for getting their hits. The good news is that even these guys got somewhere between 15 and 20 opportunities to practice their transition to pistol live-fire.

Getting the mechanics of the transition (how to sling the rifle, when to go for the pistol, etc.) is only half the battle. learning to make the switch in that space of time from a red dot sight where your focus is on the target to finding that little blade sight on the end of your pistol and getting it into focus in time to line it up and get the hits is the real challenge. Doing it under the lighting conditions we did is even more of a challenge. You can practice the mechanics at home, and you can tell yourself you're finding the sights in dry-fire, but having that target down range that tells you if you're doing it right or not is something we can only do at the range and is really the test of whether or not you're getting the concepts.

Feedback Score
    This looks like a good time. Are these events still taking place every Tuesday night?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes, however for the time being I am not running them. I hope to be back out soon.
    ETA:
    It's every FIRST Tuesday, not every Tuesday. They just had one last night.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-08-11 at 06:41.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast