Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSW/Blowout kit.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 00leland00 View Post
    Yeah, I want to add a couple of chest seals and some kind of coagulant, think I like the looks of the combat gauze best.
    I wouldn't think you'd need more than a single chest seal. If BOTH lungs are punctured you'll probably be DRT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I wouldn't think you'd need more than a single chest seal. If BOTH lungs are punctured you'll probably be DRT.
    My reasoning was if you had a wound that fully penetrated and exited out the back, wouldn't it be prudent to have one on the front and the back?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I see where you're coming from, but what I was told, in that case, you tape one hole completely closed and put the ACS on the other hole. I'm sure someone on here would know for sure. It seems like the contents list for every blow-out kit I've ever seen only includes a single ACS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We've been using Hyfin dressings. But we also needle chest decompress.

Ashermans don't stick too well when there's alot of blood and need to be taped down. Hyfin dressings stick like crazy. If there's an exit wound we tAke the hyfin wrapper and some three inch tape and make another occlusive dressing. Or another Hyfin if there's an obundance.

Patching one hole completely with any air tight sheeting (MRE bag for example) and then using the Ashermans on the other side will help prevent a sucking chest wound from building into a tension pneumothorax. The flutter valve that sticks out should let the air out one way so air build up inside the chest cavity can't start crushing the lung in the affected side. You could also try achieving this by taping a square dressing down on three side leaving one open for air to escape if no seals are available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Don't give up so easily, especially if you are planning for SHTF. I buy mine during my world travels and bring them back.

Here is a starting point:

http://www.coreynahman.com/antibiotics.html
    thanks for the link.whats the shelf life on anti-biotics?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As far as flail chests/ wityh a hemothorax, Saran wrap and Defib pads work great. The finger from a rubber glove and a long assed 14G cath for decompression.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    my dept carries asherman chest seal. they seem to work pretty good.

Feedback Score
    Believe it or not, the round ECG electrodes work great for small arms fire. Although I am currently in Iraq (contractor), I come from a city where we work quite a few small arms GSW's. Electrodes are very quick and easy to apply and surprisingly work very well. I've used them at least 2 dozen times and have never been questioned by the ER trauma staff...generally I get quite the opposite and am usually praised for the creative use.

Just make sure to mark GSW on them so there is no confusion

Last edited by BaileyMoto; 07-03-10 at 05:06.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualspringfields View Post
    I carry the Asherman but honestly I tend to use other solutions for large sucking chest wounds along with invasive decompression.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast