Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GSW/Blowout kit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I wouldn't give anyone a penicillin-based antibiotic unless I knew how to deal with anaphylaxis, including creating a surgical airway.

I certainly agree with the previous post - if you're going to take or give antibiotics, better do some studying. Ampicillin for a gunshot wound...pretty pointless.

And...fish medicine? Right. It's the same thing
    Well if shit really has hit the proverbial fan and you are fighting an infection, and that's all that's left.... your telling me that you wouldn't give it a shot????? Really. That's basically all I was say'n. I wasn't say'n that if tomorrow I pop a staph infection, I would run to Petco and pull this crap off the shelf. Besides in reality most adults know by now if they are allergic to Penicillin or not.

Feedback Score
    Penicillin allergy. I'm talking to Doc's over here more now and things seem to be similar to UK. I know that in UK Penicillin is not given in the majority of infection cases, rather a derivative or alternative is given........Amoxycillin is the favourite. So even if people have had antibiotics before they may not have had Penicillin.

I know what you mean though, in a situation anything, even pet meds, can be better than waving JuJu beads over an infection. Honey on an infected area is good too, particularly manuka honey if you can get it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Penicillin allergy. I'm talking to Doc's over here more now and things seem to be similar to UK. I know that in UK Penicillin is not given in the majority of infection cases, rather a derivative or alternative is given........Amoxycillin is the favourite. So even if people have had antibiotics before they may not have had Penicillin.
    There are several penicillin derivatives, all with the same potential for anaphylaxis in the face of a penicillin allergy. If you're allergic to penicillin, you're allergic to amoxicillin and several other such antibiotics, not to mention a 30-50% cross-reactivity to cephalosporins like cephalexin. Additionally, let's be aware that many or most significant infections are caused by bacteria that are resistant to all of the penicillin-based antibiotics. Giving penicillin or similar antibiotic to someone for an abdominal wound, for example, is totally pointless. As to penicillin itself, I can only think of one or two reasons where it would EVER be prescribed these days.

But, sure. If the shit hits the fan, all bets are off. Fish antibiotics, if the right one is given for the right reason, would be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
    Besides in reality most adults know by now if they are allergic to Penicillin or not.
    Unfortunately that's not true. Previously unknown medication allergies happen every single day in a typical hospital or outpatient clinic. That includes penicillin-based drugs, although they are not used very much anymore.

/
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-04-10 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Agreed

I tend to agree Hmac, anything is better than nothing unless of course it kills you dead on the spot. Life over limp, function over form, and all that combat medic mantra they drilled us with. I usually restock my broad spectrum at the local livestock/feed store or vet clinic. But like anything in this world over use of certain antibiotics has rendered them virtually useless in many cases.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How did antibiotics get included in a "BLOW OUT KIT" thread ???

Last resort / end of civilization stuff is a mile away from "stop the F'n hole from leaking long enough to get #1 - EMS (whatever level is available) then #2 the hospital that can truly fix the problem."

I'm cool with big picture preparedness - but info flows much easier when the topic stays on track.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567