Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR Range Report

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FN SCAR Range Report

Took my New SCAR out to the range today.

I'm not a professional shooter, but I thought I would write up a quick 'first impressions' report of shooting a SCAR:

Fired about 30 rounds of Fiocchi .223 REM sinter rounds at 25 yards, then about 20 rounds of .223 PMC.

Impression:

1.) Recoil was very soft. Not sure if it was due to the PWS-556 flashhider or the mechanism of the rifle. I was able to make quick follow-up shots to on the target. I was also able to comfortably fire the weapon with the stock folded, but not very accurately.

2.) The weapon became hot very quickly, but I fired the weapon above the sustained rate of fire for about 30 rounds. When the weapon emptied, there was smoke coming from handguard vents. At one point, the folding front sight was almost too hot to deploy.

3.) The stock iron sights are extremely high above bore axis. Even at at 25 yards, the weapon was shooting about 6" low on the irons.

4.) I rapid fired the weapon for six rounds, doing double-taps and compared it to my 16" RRA:

SCAR

RRA AR-15

Again, the SCAR was much easier to keep on target, but not sure if that was due to the weapon design or the compensator.

5.) The reciprocating charging handle is a major flaw in the design. I trained mostly on an AR-15 rifle, so when I held the weapon by the magwell I had a high-thumb grip, the reciprocating handle will hit my thumb. Not only was this slightly painful, but the weapon would fail to load another round.

All in all, the SCAR is a well thought out design. Ambidextrous selector, manipulatable charging handle, flip up sights, monolithic receiver with continuous top rail, and folding stock. However, I would rather run with a gas piston AR for the time being.
    Last edited by Kchen986; 10-24-09 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Did you experience any difference in accuracy when you got the rifle hot?
    Last edited by d90king; 10-24-09 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post

3.) The stock iron sights are extremely high above bore axis. Even at at 25 yards, the weapon was shooting about 6" low on the irons.
    Thanks for the review.

At what range did you zero your irons at? I have difficulty imagining a 6 inch drop at 25 due to height above bore...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The weapon should have come from the factory with a 25m/300/m zero. However, I did attempt to turn the range drum downwards to ~50m. Perhaps this explains the big difference in POA and POI.

Feedback Score
    Did the SCAR come standard with the PWS-556? I guess you paid an arm and a leg for it? Or is pricing coming down? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yea, I just sold it at a great loss to me. Prices are around $2300 - $2500 now.

It came standard with the PWS FSC 556.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post

5.) The reciprocating charging handle is a major flaw in the design.
    Congrats on your SCAR !

Just curious on how it is a "Flaw" in the design? Is it a flaw because it doesn’t fit your shooting style?

If I was to say a high mag well shooting style is a "major flaw" in how you employ a weapon? Would that make a fair comparison?

I’m not trying to argue, I’m just simply pointing out, that some people say that things are flaws when it really comes down to a person comfort level on shooting, and how then can overcome training issues.

Does the AK, FAL, M14 etc.... all over the same major flaw?

v/r
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Smoking after 30 rounds of fire?

Did you clean it before taking it out?

Did you also say that you sold it at a loss?

I don't think I'll be looking into getting one until the prices come down a bit, but they are pretty snazzy looking. And I damn well wouldn't be selling it after that short of time. They're still pretty hard to come across even at the high prices. Why'd you sell it if you don't mind me asking?
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Last edited by StrikeFace; 06-13-13 at 13:07.
    Instructions: Remain calm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's a question...

What are the benefits of a reciprocating charging handle both from a manual of arms standpoint AND a manufacturing/engineering/operating standpoint?

Are there any?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast