Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #4 buckshot in bare gel (with pics)

Feedback Score

#4 buckshot in bare gel (with pics)

Special thanks to Brassfetcher for this test.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/12%20gau...20buckshot.pdf

I will stick to 00 buck in my shotgun for HD, but #4 buck doesn't look as puny as some people make it out to be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The issue I have with #4 buckshot (Federal Tactical 27P) is the pattern with my Vang Comp 18" 870 at 25yds is more than 24" including fliers. This gun holds less than 12" with #1 buckshot (16P) and less than 9" with 00 (9P) at 25 yds.

This may not matter to some but I don't like the large and somewhat unpredictable patterns I get with #4.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    The issue I have with #4 buckshot (Federal Tactical 27P) is the pattern with my Vang Comp 18" 870 at 25yds is more than 24" including fliers. This gun holds less than 12" with #1 buckshot (16P) and less than 9" with 00 (9P) at 25 yds.

This may not matter to some but I don't like the large and somewhat unpredictable patterns I get with #4.
    Normally the larger the pellet, the tighter the pattern.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No argument from me. With standard barrels and chokes I found the increase in pattern size to be even more pronounced than the sizes I posted as shot size was reduced. Also some loads like the Federal Flightcontrol loads do produce tight patterns but they can be more "donut" shaped than conventional shells.
    Last edited by DBR; 10-25-09 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    I would like to see the same load's performance from a Remington 870 Police with an 18" cylinder-bore barrel...

Feedback Score
    Ron,

I always found that any of the 12 ga. #4 Buck loads patterned really poorly from an 18" cylinder bored police gun. If you did any patterning work with it you quickly found that you had at most a 15 yard weapon in terms of pattern width before you started losing pellets off a realistic target zone (say <10"). I know that you can theoretically hit/kill past that range, but the liability issues loomed large in a hurry with these loads. Combine that with reduced effectiveness of those little buckshot pellets at extended range and they became a "no go" in a hurry.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 10-26-09 at 17:04.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Ron,

I always found that any of the 12 ga. #4 Buck load patterned really poorly from an 18" cylinder bored police gun. If you did any patterning work with it you quickly found that you had at most a 15 yard weapon in terms of pattern width before you started losing pellets off a realistic target zone (say <10"). I know that you can theoretically hit/kill past that range, but the liability issues loomed large in a hurry with these loads. Combine that with reduced effectiveness of those little buckshot pellets at extended range and they became a "no go" in a hurry.
    #4 buck will not penetrate a metal car door's outer skin at any range where pellets impact individually, either, in my limited experience. OO is semi-reliable, and OOO is decent at it. Anything smaller seems to be full of fail.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-26-09 at 16:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Ron,

I always found that any of the 12 ga. #4 Buck loads patterned really poorly from an 18" cylinder bored police gun. If you did any patterning work with it you quickly found that you had at most a 15 yard weapon in terms of pattern width before you started losing pellets off a realistic target zone (say <10"). I know that you can theoretically hit/kill past that range, but the liability issues loomed large in a hurry with these loads. Combine that with reduced effectiveness of those little buckshot pellets at extended range and they became a "no go" in a hurry.
    Wayne,

Please... don't take my comment as though I like #4 Buck!!! I do not... in fact, I don't even like #1 Buck!!!

I am a fan of Winchester's Ranger Buckshot, specifically RA1200, which is a 'Low Recoil' 9-pellet 00 Buck load. For slugs, I like Brenneke's Tactical Home Defense slug load.

I am sorry if I mislead anyone here... I often ask questions as a way to get folks to think...

Feedback Score
    I didn't think you were endorsing #4 Buck at all. I'm a fan of the "low recoil" or "tactical" 00 loads also and prefer the Federal load in my guns. Given the actual performance envelope of 00 buck I doubt that there's enough difference to matter between the major brands. Recipients of a load of 00 buck amidships inside of 15 yards almost never come to the attention of a trauma center, but instead go straight to the morgue without passing go or collecting $200.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Good post, Wayne...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast