Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #4 buckshot in bare gel (with pics)

Feedback Score
    A perp grabs my kid???
    There will be at least a palm-sized chunk of the perp's head exposed... that's enough... even with buckshot. The distance would be about 10-15 feet, so the pattern would be 2-3 inches...
    I would make sure the perp knew he/she was not leaving my property alive... warrior mindset...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    A perp grabs my kid???
    There will be at least a palm-sized chunk of the perp's head exposed... that's enough... even with buckshot. The distance would be about 10-15 feet, so the pattern would be 2-3 inches...
    I would make sure the perp knew he/she was not leaving my property alive... warrior mindset...
    Amen to that, although I'm not comfortable enough with my shotgun skills to risk my children.

Feedback Score
    I didn't mention this, but I know how my shotgun patterns, and I would move a bit toward the perp's perifery to give me a bit of a safety margin, too...

Given the choice of the perp holding my kid and shooting or NOT shooting, I would shoot... but I would use my brain, too...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I didn't mention this, but I know how my shotgun patterns, and I would move a bit toward the perp's perifery to give me a bit of a safety margin, too...

Given the choice of the perp holding my kid and shooting or NOT shooting, I would shoot... but I would use my brain, too...
    I would absolutely shoot the MFer too, shotgun or no shotgun, but given my relatively lower ability with the shotty vs. my carbine, or even Glock, I'd rather have the latter two. Like you said, you have to know how the shotgun patterns and with any combat/self defense situation, expertise with the weapon is more important than which weapon you possess.

Feedback Score
    uwe1, I agree 100%...

Over the past decade I have changed my plan on the weapon(s) and ammunition I would employ in different scenarios. I think it is good to talk about this sort of thing and get multiple viewpoints. It helps to hear a viewpoint that you might not think of on your own... some of my friends have views like that, and I like to hear alternate views.

Then you can glean ideas that present themselves...

Feedback Score
    Whether you are using a shotgun or a carbine, at very close range, and with the need to make a precise shot, you must be aware of sight off-set.

More here, with a carbine: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot18.htm

And with a shotgun, where pattern size is critical: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot42.htm
    Last edited by Old_Painless; 11-21-09 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    Agree, Old_Painless...

That's why I prefer the shotgun with a bead front sight to an AR-15 with a 3" high sighting plane...

Good idea to pattern at various distances, and check POI (Point Of Impact) at various distances for any firearm used in a SD role... it pays to know what your firearm will do as far as POI...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Agree, Old_Painless...

That's why I prefer the shotgun with a bead front sight to an AR-15 with a 3" high sighting plane...

Good idea to pattern at various distances, and check POI (Point Of Impact) at various distances for any firearm used in a SD role... it pays to know what your firearm will do as far as POI...
    +1. I have a Winchester 1500 that will sling slugs 2' off POA at 15 yards. Imagine the poor fool using that in a family hostiage situation having never patterned/shot with it!

Feedback Score
    My Winchester Defender 1300 consistently puts 00 Buck and slugs 3 inches high at 30 feet, and is right on as far as windage goes. My Ranger load (RA1200) gives me a nice round 4 inch pattern at that distance.

Feedback Score
    Agree, Old_Painless...

Yep.

As Clint Smith wisely notes, "The middle of a firefight is not a good place to try out new tactics."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast