Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: True benefit of a 14.5"?

Feedback Score
    selftest:yeah I know what youre sayin

One thing: Pat Rogers posted something over on LF with a picture of a midlength 14.5" maybe talk to Grant or somebody at ADCO and see about having a mid length 16" cut down and then pin a FH/MB to make 16" that would keep your OAL down and give you the benefit of the mid length gas system.

And the SF MB556K makes a huge difference in how the gun shoots, muzzle rise is close to nothing with an aggressive stance/grip. It's the only brake I have shot, but I can't imagine a brake getting much more effective than that one...LOUD though

keep us posted on what you decide to do
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way. We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions-Aristotle

The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid-Marcus Aurelius

For these things give thanks at nightfall:
    The day gone, a guttered torch,
    A sword tested, the troth of a maid,
    Ice crossed, ale drunk- Havamal

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    I agree. If it's something you really want (m4 type carbine), either of the above suggestions would be good. If you go the 14.5 route, Sabre makes extended A2 FH's. Otherwise, the midlength would be your best option.
    Bravo Company just released their own version of the extended A2 FH this week called the A2X. My upper is on the way to Adco right now.
    Last edited by sdacbob; 10-25-09 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sabre makes 14.5 mid-length barrel with an extended A2 FH. Brownells carries them but they are always out of stock but you can backorder.

A standard 16in barrel with an A2 FH is 18 inches. So the benefit your getting is, well, two inches.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I had Adco cut and pin my Sabre middie. I shoot it more and enjoy it more than my Noveske, DD's, or LMT SBR. I sometimes wonder; did the military actually get the whole 14.5" thing right? It appears to me they did. I built this rifle out of the spare parts bin and went from there. I think it has more manufacturers parts in it than any I've ever owned. It is a true frankengun, with only top quality parts, and runs as well an any I've ever had. I'm up to 2000 rounds with nary a problem. I run a standard carbine buffer in it, FA BCG, with most of the rest being unremarkable. Iplan on using it for a December class with Pat Rogers. That will be the big test.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    There are all kinds of lengths to suit your needs, whatever they might be. The original system was designed for a 20" bbl and as you cut it down you get a handier weapon at the cost of durability and velocity. There isn't really any inherent "benefit" to a 14.5 over some other length.

That said I like the pinned 14.5" because it matches my issued weapon and it's a good balance without having to deal with NFA BS. Also, something to consider, I believe some of the bullet drop compensators on certain optics and BUIS are calibrated for M885 (62 gr) out of a 14.5" barrel. Might make a difference if you're planning on using an ACOG or the sight that comes on Colts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Sabre makes 14.5 mid-length barrel with an extended A2 FH. Brownells carries them but they are always out of stock but you can backorder.

A standard 16in barrel with an A2 FH is 18 inches. So the benefit your getting is, well, two inches.
    That's true... THanks for pointing out the OAL of a 16 barrel with a FH on. Im re-thinking my 16 middy project. A 14.5 would be a better fit for me...
    Anyone else making a 14.5 middy barrel aside from Sabre? Im hoping for a good hammer forged 14.5... or atleast a "Full TDP" top tier barrel.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    That's true... THanks for pointing out the OAL of a 16 barrel with a FH on. Im re-thinking my 16 middy project. A 14.5 would be a better fit for me...
    Anyone else making a 14.5 middy barrel aside from Sabre? Im hoping for a good hammer forged 14.5... or atleast a "Full TDP" top tier barrel.

BCM is coming out with them but it will be early next year. Otherwise you can buy a 16" and have ADCO cut it down to 14.5", and do the pin/weld job at the same time.

Feedback Score
    That's good to hear. THanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 10-26-09 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted.
    Last edited by rljatl; 10-26-09 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post

I don't think the difference is 2 inches. Isn't it more like slightly less than 1.5"?
    Last edited by rljatl; 10-26-09 at 10:11.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast