Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's wrong with this photo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDoc View Post
    Why would you remove the RAS to clean?
    CSMs can be real assholes, that's why.

ETA: I am glad you don't hold your soldiers to such a ridiculous and time wasting practice.

I guess I'll have to explain where I'm coming from. I spent my last tour in Iraq and in the Army as a SSG Squad Leader. I had no choice but to enforce a bullshit standard. Our BN CSM who had just come to our unit mid tour from the school house at Ft. Benning, got pissed because one of my soldier's weapons was "dirty" as in there was some dust under the RAS. I actually received a negative counseling statement from my 1SG because he was a push over who never left the wire and could give a shit less about the soldiers and NCOs in his charge. Both the CSM and 1SG were clueless as to what operating in a combat zone meant and made our lives hell. However, such is life in the 18th ABN Core, and such is part of the reason why I am now Mr. Bower and not SSG. Bower any longer.

It was a gross demonstration of the differences of a peace time Army and an Army at war. As a senior NCO you should completely understand.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 10-28-09 at 08:27. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I did not carry a SAW, but I did wander around aimlessly with an M-60 (both the Delta and Echo 3 models) for a few years.

Perhaps SAW-toting PFC Kicklighter is looking down for his next belt of linked 5.56?

I had a bad habit of keeping an eye on spare barrels, barrel gloves, the next belt of ammo, etc. Of course, that was when I was a Lance Coolie, and had not yet achieved the exalted rank of Corporal, and Squad Leader.

After that, I had minions to carry the belt-fed hate-delivery devices for me.

And yes, prayers sent for a safe and speedy return home for both soldiers.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 10-27-09 at 17:32. Reason: bad spellur

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    To my eye, that shot was taken with a wide-angle lens. I say this based on the relationship of the close objects as well as what appears to be telltale distortion at the edges of the frame (even if it isn't severe)

If my intuition is correct, the hillside would be closer than it visually appears in the image.

That said, the EXIF data isn't intact on the image so we can't confirm the focal length.

I guess that's an overcomplicated way of saying, "It's really difficult to estimate distance in photographs given our brain's assumption that the lens is rendering the relationship between objects the same way that our eye would."
    gotcha thx for explanation

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    From Here
    My family and I just viewed these pictures from top to bottom. The house has never been this quiet well we looked and read about are men and woman serving. Unbelievable pictures and stories of sacrifices folks!

Speechless, Ky Cop

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it was pretty sobering to view those pictures. Words can't express the respect and admiration I hold for all who serve.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    "Could that be a cover that has melted around the flash hider? How hot can those things get before they go squishy?"
    My humble experience, 1-2 mags rapid fire, not full auto. I've had melted muzzle caps that looked that way.
    Hope they gave more and better than they got, and return home safely.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool pics.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456