Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose my first 1911

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Help me choose my first 1911

I'm at a stopping point with some project guns and have a little extra fundage left over. That was a first...

So I've had some 1911 envy going on lately and shot one for the first time over the weekend. I only own Glocks and in 9 so this will be pretty different for me.

Primary use will not be competition & it's probably not going in my nightstand. This gun will see some courses next year and about 4-5k rounds easily.

The price range is pretty wide on these guns-starting at around $550 for a SA entry level gun to sky's the limit pricing if you're creative seem about right? I'm looking for something along the lines that sticks close to the original design concept(no double stack hi capacity) with a few enhancements. I would prefer a platform with a factory accessory rail. For those of you who know this gun pretty well, what have you seen out there that seem to check these boxes for me and run well.

I'm not hung up on brand names either. If I should pick up some obscure beater to learn to appreciate a high end variety later, that's fine. I'm hoping to learn how to work on them as much as shoot them. I've met very few guns I didn't like.

Thanks
    Mike Olivella
    Airborne Training Director
    Solkoa, Inc.

www.solkoa.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    before i give my suggestions, what did you like/dislike about your first experience with a 1911?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    I found myself in a similar boat a while back.
    The biggest hurdle I had to jump was how much MIM(metal injection molded) parts I wanted in my gun, if any at all.

I couldnt afford a Wilson Combat and the 1911s that I had my eyes on had more MIM than I personally cared for. Suprisingly, the Sig GSR revolution has far less MIM than big name 1911s that cost hundreds more. This was a choice and still is if I decide to take the plunge again.
    However, after further research I finalized my decision to a Dan Wesson 1911.
    I have heard nothing but good about these and since the use Ed Brown parts, there is no MIM. They are moderately priced offer a variety of configurations.

Here would be my choices:

Wilson Combat
    Dan Wesson
    SIG GSR revolution
    Custom build with forged frame/slide and Wilson Compat parts...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score

Railed 1911

Generally, you get what you pay for with 1911s.

For railed 1911s priced under $1500, the Springfield MC Operator is a leading option.

If you acquire a non-railed 1911 that you want to keep, you can always have a Dawson Lightspeed Rail installed. This has costs and complexities of it's own (light adaptor, holsters, etc), but it works VERY well.

Another option would be to use a Surefire MR07. This adds bulk to the gun and your holster choices are limited (Safariland makes their SLS holster in a variant that will work).

I ran a MR07 and X200B for about a year while I evaluted whether I wanted to obtain a railed 1911. Later on ended up getting a railed NHC/VT, and more recently had Dawson Precision install their rail on another of my 1911s.

Recommend you read the articles by Hilton Yam at 10-8performance.com

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    +1 MC Operator

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you want your buy in to be 1000ish, I would go with a used Kimber Series I, the older the better or a Springfield Loaded. At this price point you should have enough left over for some decent leather/kydex etc. You could add a dawson rail or the Surefire piece at a later date.

If you want your buy in to be 1500 ish. I too would strongly urge an MC Operator. You get likely reliability, instant availability to mount a light, sights you can see, beavertail etc. If there is a problem, Springfield will pay for shipping both ways.
    Should you decide to "upgrade" the Spingfield Custom Shop is highly regarded, resonably priced and has a good turn around time, typically measured in weeks v. months. This pricepoint also presumes enough left over for some gear.

If you really are going to shoot 4-5 k per year, you might want to consider reloading. If so I would go Dilon and not look back.

Hilton Yam's articles are a good starting point. While it has not been my experience you have to spend 2k to have a 5 inch 1911 that you can bet your life on, it will top 1k by the time you buy a pistol, and test it with a combination of mags and ammo to find the mix your particular 1911 will like, especially if you want to be able to mount a light.
    Last edited by dojpros; 10-27-09 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    before i give my suggestions, what did you like/dislike about your first experience with a 1911?
    First, thank you for the suggestions and comments so far.

For reference, gun was a Kimber xxx-??? I don't know what the particular model was. I was just grateful for a chance to shoot it. It was traditional full size gun, 7+1, 'upgraded' sights, ambi safety, larger beavertail than the SA GI model, etc. Kind of a flashy example which is not my thing but seemed like a solid representation of slightly worked over 1911.

1911 LIKES: Longer sight plane than what I normally shoot(G17), trigger break, trigger reset, grip shape(was very comfortable to maintain a high grip with both hands and there was very little slipping)-seems like there was just enough room for everything to fit where it felt like it was supposed to on the gripping surface(I don't know if that makes sense?)...... That's really all I've made up my mind about going for the 1911. It seemed really comfortable once I was lined up on target and going through the shot felt unique.

1911 DISLIKES: I am used to the grip angle of a Glock. I naturally point the 1911 low upon resetting after recoil. This will be a training point/issue for me. I could not track the front sight in the later stages of recoil as I can with my 17. It took considerable effort to produce a sight picture twice for quicker controlled pairs. Splits faster than .4 are not realistic for me at this point if I want to remain accurate. I was fine drawing the pistol and picking up the sight during a presentation but staring at an empty rear notch over and over after the first shot will take some range time to correct.

This might not be the best time for me to buy another pistol. I am still for all practical purposes learning to shoot.

I just know I want one now.
    Last edited by igoswoop; 10-27-09 at 15:05.
    Mike Olivella
    Airborne Training Director
    Solkoa, Inc.

www.solkoa.com

Feedback Score
    You described the MC Operator.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As a fellow glock shooter, for me, going to arched mainspring housings helped my 1911 (forgive me JMB) feel and point more "glocklike". Given your desire to really run the gun, I urge you in the strongest possible terms to get some Tier 1 instruction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The thing I have learned over the past few years if that unless you're willing to dedicate at least $1500 as an initial investment, and a lot of time and research into the platform you are bound for disappointment.

I think the Sig GSR is a lot of pistol for the money (though 1911 purists poo-poo the gun), and is probably the least expensive 1911 I would buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast