Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: East Dallas and/or DFW M4C members sound off!

Feedback Score
    Hello all, Carrollton reporting in. Is anyone getting together to train? I have been shooting at the Garland Public range, I haven't checked out Elm Forks. I am relatively new to the area, moved here a couple of years ago from Kansas. If any of ya'll want to meetup and shoot or just meetup for some brews I am game.

-Chance

Feedback Score
    So today I went to Targetmaster in Garland. Decent enough indoor rifle range, but terrible ventilation. Seriously. I am still coughing from it tonight.

I will probably not be going there again unless I know I only want to be there less than 30 minutes.

I will have to try somewhere else. I was told that the Garland public range will not allow fmj? If that is so, that adds to the cost of shooting there. I am up for getting together somewhere though to shoot, or for a brew. I am always up for a brew
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 06-05-10 at 23:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I will have to try somewhere else. I was told that the Garland public range will not allow fmj? If that is so, that adds to the cost of shooting there. I am up for getting together somewhere though to shoot, or for a brew. I am always up for a brew
    You will need to call out there to ask about FMJ. I believe at Elm Fork they don't allow FMJ on the rifle range, but ARs shoot on the "tac range", which is pretty much a part of the pistol range, where they do allow FMJ (not sure if there is an exception for .223 though).

My father went to the Garland range a year or so ago and said it was pretty scary. Some guy next to him had a little kid with him who picked up a gun and started waving it around. Yikes. I haven't had any experiences like that at Elm Fork, but that may be the luck of the draw. You will be hard pressed to find any ranges that let you shoot an AR from anything but a bench around DFW. TDSA and maybe one other place that sounds a bit iffy have been the only ones I've found.
    Last edited by rudy99; 06-07-10 at 16:34.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will never shoot at the Garland Public Range again. I only did the one time because I already had friends on the line shooting.

Worst experience shooting ever.

A friend and I walked in there for the first time ever. We walked up to the counter and the guy said (in a tone that ensured us he had better things to do), "Membership cards."

Us: "Uh, it's our first time here..."

Him: "Go in that room and watch the video."

Okay, not great service, pretty rude actually - but I could live with this. After watching a horribly produced video where the various employees read the rules about 4 times each for 30 or so rules we were free to go back in the other room... where we signed a paper saying we read the rules and watch the video. Tedious, but I could live with this at this point.

Until now my friend and I had been balancing our guns and gear with no real place to put them. Once handed the pen and paper the guy told us to put all of our firearms and ammo in the corner until we've signed the paperwork. My friend made the mistake of saying, "Even our carry pieces?". We had been dealing with the owner until this point and his grown son had been reading a gun rag. At this point the son exploded out of his seat and screamed, "I AM THE ONLY PERSON AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A GUN ON THESE PREMISES!" IF YOU HAVE ANY UNCASED, UNAUTHORIZED WEAPONS IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO YOUR VEHICLE TO CASE THEM!"

Mind you, there is no sign on the door stating this...

I stood there and signed the paper while my buddy went out to his car to case his weapons. We walked out onto the range to shoot. At this point I simply wanted to leave, but our friends were already out there shooting...

5 minutes later the last of our group showed up and was told he could not go to the line because the range was closing in an hour and 15 minutes and they wouldn't process anyone else that didn't have a membership.

The range was nice and I didn't see anyone do anything unsafe, but the owner and his son are nut jobs - and apparently they're usually the range masters.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear about the bad experiences at the Garland Public Range. I have only gone there 4 times and those have been on Sundays when it is 2 Veterans who run the range. Really nice guys and respectful too. I guess I should get down to Elm Fork and check it out. Anyone want to meetup at Elm Fork at the end of the month and get some range time in?

Feedback Score
    odd experience. the only person i've talked to at Garland has been really nice but he wasnt the owner. the people at the front counter have never been overly cordial or anything. i dont know about the video, i joined 9 years ago when I was 12 and didnt have to watch anything. there is no FMJ on the rifle range, which is why I no longer shoot rifles there and very rarely shoot my pistols there - "only 1 round a second" is not all that conducive to my training.

I am down to meet up at Elm Fork. The only time I was there was to shoot skeet with a friend but the rifle and pistol ranges looked nice. Unfortunately, yes, Ralph's is closed. He said he had complaints about people purposefully shooting over the berm. He said he doubts thats true, that most likely his neighbors downrange just dont like him having a range, but if it is true that is pretty ****ed up. Also down to meet up for some brews.

Feedback Score
    Alright, born in Dallas, raised in Richardson, now live in Plano. I as well would be willing to get together with some people and do some shooting. But I think the best option is finding someone north of 121 with some land we can go to. I go to Targetmasters for my pistol shooting. Nice enough. Can not stand Bullet Trap, I can't stress enough how much everyone should stay away from that place. I as well had a bad experience with the CS at Garland Public, but I was willing to put it aside until they said no FMJ on the range. Makes absolutely no sense why they won't allow FMJ, except to sell their own ammo and make a buck off shooters. I shoot for a living and I get back from overseas in August if anyone wants to get together. Hell I'll even buy the beer afterwards.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The lack of places in the Dallas area to shoot an AR using FMJ is why I've hesitated for several months to purchase the BCM, support items, and training that I've been patiently saving for. The situation is actually kind of depressing!! I'm hesitating because I'm concerned that I will not be able to support carbine training I plan to attend with regular practice. I'm certainly open to other ideas, suggestions, etc.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard, but there was a guy in Rowlett mowing his yard approximately one mile beyond the Garland range who was struck by a .22 bullet over the weekend. It's difficult to believe that the round came off the range, but you can bet that there are some folks rolling up their sleeves, once again, to get it shut down.

You think Garland is bad? Try Gibson's Outpost for crappy customer service....

Feedback Score

FMJ's on Dallas firing lines

Just a heads up re: FMJ ammo in Dallas: most places in Dallas, as noted above, don't allow it and according to the guys at the Garland range, for them at least the rule is based on a municipal ordinance. Ever since I came to the reluctant conclusion that Wolf JHP isn't AR-destroying steel-cased powdered-demon-shit, the restrictions on ammo are seeming like more and more of a non-issue.

BUT if you love FMJ's or have a large stack on hand, keep in mind that at the Elm Fork range the restriction on FMJ's seems to only apply to the plinker/target shooter crowd during the day. If you go to training classes (e.g. Tiger Valley's Tuesday night classes) or competitions (DAPS's carbine shoots or the guys who shoot on Thursday nights), the no-FMJ rule is, shall we say, conspicuous in its absence.

The DFW indoor gun range on Mockingbird is also FMJ-friendly and has decent facilities, albeit at a premium.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    Just a heads up re: FMJ ammo in Dallas: most places in Dallas, as noted above, don't allow it and according to the guys at the Garland range, for them at least the rule is based on a municipal ordinance. Ever since I came to the reluctant conclusion that Wolf JHP isn't AR-destroying steel-cased powdered-demon-shit, the restrictions on ammo are seeming like more and more of a non-issue.

BUT if you love FMJ's or have a large stack on hand, keep in mind that at the Elm Fork range the restriction on FMJ's seems to only apply to the plinker/target shooter crowd during the day. If you go to training classes (e.g. Tiger Valley's Tuesday night classes) or competitions (DAPS's carbine shoots or the guys who shoot on Thursday nights), the no-FMJ rule is, shall we say, conspicuous in its absence.

The DFW indoor gun range on Mockingbird is also FMJ-friendly and has decent facilities, albeit at a premium.
    Thanks for the info Triumph. Do you shoot regularly at Elm Fork? If so what are the range fees like there. Their website isn't real clear on the price. I also wasn't aware that Tiger Valley does Tuesday night training. I am saving up to take one of their Tactical Carbine courses since Magpul Dynamics doesn't have any going nearby. I would love to fire my FMJs but I have 800 rounds of Brown Bear steel case JHPs through my AR and she eats it like a champ, so I can't bitch too much. Take care and watch your six.

Chance

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast