Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Study Sessions

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I'm interested

Good guy folks... Wants to train and learn... I'm just pissed he is close enough to take advantage of some of the westerners knowledge. TK might be able to help get you squared away for Hackathorn.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I'm interested
    Drop me a line

the_katar@pistol-training.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Training Preparation

Since it's approaching winter I don't know how many of you have classes lined up in the coming months and weeks. As has been covered in preceding posts I've been getting together with T_K pretty regularly to prepare for a Viking Tactics Nightfighter Class I finished last week.

It's hard to understate the value of consistent practice and preparation for a training opportunity. Some guys go to classes to work out the kinks in their technique but I think this is a flawed approach especially for people like Kyle Lamb. The class was so intense that if I had been working out kinks during class I would have been falling behind and missing out on training.

T_K's method is pretty simple and if I may say much like engineering. The Japanese have a word "kaizen" which means a process of modest, continuing improvement rather than revolutionary change. Basically T_K and I went through my technique to identify and correct problems which at the end of 4 weeks resulted in significant improvement.

Because of this I knew my gear would work, I could operate my light and weapon equally well from either hand, my reloads and transitions were smooth and my marksmanship was as good as I've ever been (broke back prone, offhand shooting under a car at 100 yards with first shot hits). When Kyle looked at me and said "You've gotten a lot better, it's coming together for you isn't it?" I was humbled by the compliment, but I also knew it was the result of putting in the work and practice with T_K.

Having someone else watch you execute technique gives you two sets of eyes and two brains to troubleshoot technique. This is far more efficient and effective than just going to the range alone. Talking things out and experimenting with what works and what doesn't helps you understand why certain things are done the way they are.

Thanks again T_K.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words, GSJ.

I was hoping that our methodology (such as it was) would help you concentrate on what KL had to teach you. Sounds like it worked out and I look forward to the next study session.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, GSJ.

I was hoping that our methodology (such as it was) would help you concentrate on what KL had to teach you. Sounds like it worked out and I look forward to the next study session.
    There is no doubt that you deserve each and everyone of them. Your commitment to helping others receive quality training should be applauded on all levels. Job well done sir.

I just wish I was closer so I could take advantage of your mentoring...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    We really need to get a group shoot together.

I've even got a line on an ammo group buy.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    We really need to get a group shoot together.
    Agree.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Happy Thanksgiving all!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Thanks TK, we all have much to be thankful for. Even when we think we have it bad there are many others that are waaaay worse off than we are. I hope you have a great holiday and thanks again for all that you do in promoting training and volunteering your time to others.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'll be available Wednesday, December 02...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast