Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Study Sessions

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I'll be available Wednesday, December 02...
    during what time frame ?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Pretty much anytime, probably after 12:00 pm is realistic.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Went to the range yesterday but it was closed - weather was a washout, too. Changed gears and headed back to the garage/mancave for some discussion. Blue Guns were utilized to maximum effect.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Went to the range with T_K, we HAD intended an indoor shoot since it's about 18 degrees with single-digit wind chill and scattered snow, but thanks to my club changing the lock on me it ended up being a southwest PA cold weather shoot. This had some good training behind it and we stood up to it for about 2.5 hours. We did put a few things together.

Drawing handguns from under heavy winter gear and wearing gloves is something that needs to be practiced more often especially if you don't live in Florida. Clearing up how to wear layers and outer garments and still get the gun out was a challenge. Running the FAST drill was particularly instructive as not only drawing and firing but clearing a reload was interesting especially when the reload mag caught on a sweater and dropped to the deck.

While it helps to have figured out the problems, I believe the solutions are mostly related to gear and what may work in normal attire must also work with cold weather outergear. Having a good quality, stable, concealment holster and mag pouch is certainly obvious, but you should check to see how well it works when you've got several layers of clothing on.

I've focused too much on carbine and my pistol skills have degraded. 2010 will be the year of the handgun. Relevant to handguns I'm not sure where the whole BUG concept works for me. Got to shoot T_K's LCR and while I know many like it (and I think T_K was pleased with it as well but he can give the range report) and for good reason, it's just not for me. I'm still looking for better options.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 12-10-09 at 18:11.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Good study session today, even though it was sort of improvised. Lots of wind and accompanying wind chill factor. Many of us carry in very cold weather - but how many of us practice drawing and shooting in that weather?

As GSJ mentioned, it seems to be largely an awareness of clothing and how it interacts with one's preferred carry method. It's very easy to carry conventionally IWB (3:30 position) or even OWB on the hip when wearing a heavy coat... but when you go inside it might look a little weird wearing that heavy coat by the fireplace.

I was carrying my Glock 19 AIWB and a reload... I was also carrying my new Ruger LCR (w/CT laser) in the front support pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. I was wearing a zip neck fleece with a down vest over it, which gives me options indoors I might not have with just a heavy coat.

We ran several iterations of the FAST to get a feel for how the conditions would effect it. I managed to shoot it clean on my final try in 8.02 seconds. This was in the cold, wind blowing, gun and reload under the fleece and Vickers gloves. These gloves are not designed specifically to keep hands warm, and yes my fingertips got pretty cold. I was actually very pleased with this time, especially considering the reload involved.

The LCR seems pretty good so far, but there will be much more on that later. Should have some pics to post to prove we actually got off our asses.

Anyone who wants to join our study sessions is encouraged to do so!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Too bad PA is so far away Looks like you guys are getting some great training & practice in. Awesome that you're donating your time to help out other members TK. Stay warm out there!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    You really have to give T_K a lot of credit for organizing these groups. He genuinely wants to help the individual be a better shooter. He's not at all wrapped up into the ego trip of being an "instructor", he just presents problems and helps the other person come to the appropriate conclusion.

Genuinely more people need to get out there with us because we simply figure things out by experimentation. There's no dogma or ego. The only thing that counts are speed and accuracy as the best variables to measure. I think most shooters here would benefit from similar groups wherever they live.

For instance we ran a few tests with the CT laser on the LCR. It's pretty clear that the laser is slower than iron sights. As to accuracy I think we found that on center-mass shots it's quite effective. Using the laser for pinpoint accuracy seemed to be significantly more problematic as the recoil causes you to lose the laser and then reacquire. It's much easier to track iron sights than a laser.

For myself at least I'm much faster and more accurate using a weapon light and iron sights than with a laser.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words fellas. Some pics:

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I split off some earlier posts into their own thread: "Mentoring"

I view mentoring as experienced members showing inexperienced members the fundamentals. I view study sessions as several experienced members sharing experience.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Member Aray and I had a very brief session but one that stressed the importance of continuing to dry-fire... especially when you have an extended range absence.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast