Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CSAT Tactical Pistol Instructor AAR

Feedback Score
    Excellent AAR KellyTTE an fast thinking on your part to react to the scene of the accident you witnessed. Great job!
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post

Back at CSAT, MSG Howe listened to what happened and offered to give me a few pointers. He also replaced the items that I'd used up (the bandages, gauze, etc) and refused payment when I opened my wallet. He also helped me setup my aid kit in a more efficient manner. This initial time with MSG Howe gave me a good insight to how generous and open he is about any relevant training subject.
    He is a generous guy. When I was there I did not bring enough money for some goodies they had including CSAT coffee cups and a couple of shirts. They insisted that I take the items and that I could just mail them payment. Well, actually they tried to give me the coffee cup. Anyway, I intentionally overpaid for these items when I mailed in my payment. MSG Howe sent me a check for the difference, and refused to accept the money.

MSG Howe and Eric are both class acts as well as great instructors.

Feedback Score
    Good review. CSAT is very, very high on my list of places I want to train.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Kelly, have you taken any of Paul's carbine classes...or do you plan to in the future?

I'm debating on which to take first from him. I'm leaning towards pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Kelly, have you taken any of Paul's carbine classes...or do you plan to in the future?

I'm debating on which to take first from him. I'm leaning towards pistol.
    This is my first CSAT course. My understanding is that in the big scheme of things, pistol is the harder start. If you do well with the pistol, then going over to the rifle is 'easier'. Or as easy as anything gets at CSAT.

My grand plan is to take Tactical Pistol Instructor (done), Tactical Rifle Instructor (pending) and Shoothouse Instructor (pending), in order for me to help with a volunteer position I've been working on.
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 10-29-09 at 16:14.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
    This is my first CSAT course. My understanding is that in the big scheme of things, pistol is the harder start. If you do well with the pistol, then going over to the rifle is 'easier'. Or as easy as anything gets at CSAT.

My grand plan is to take Tactical Pistol Instructor (done), Tactical Rifle Instructor (pending) and Shoothouse Instructor (pending), in order for me to help with a volunteer position I've been working on.
    Gotcha, thanks! A friend of mine went though his carbine/ carbine instructor courses, and loved it.

I do a lot more pistol shooting than I do carbine, so I'm thinking that it'd make more sense to take that first. I tend to shoot the carbine standards clean or 90%, while I don't think I've cleaned the pistol standards yet.

Was there a lot of fine tuning of techniques for folks who already were making the standards? Or was time primarily spent getting folks to pass the standards...then move on?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Was there a lot of fine tuning of techniques for folks who already were making the standards? Or was time primarily spent getting folks to pass the standards...then move on?
    *thinks*

There was a little of both. Once you pass the standards, you're free to shoot the standards with more restrictive time constraints or different platforms. Some folks brought both 1911s and Glocks to see what worked best for them. But the vast majority of time was spent between practice/demonstration of modules/standards and getting instructors thru the standards so to get them on the line training students. Once the students were there, the whole focus turned to them. You shot the standards on your own time (before class, lunch or after class).
    Kelly H

Feedback Score
    Hey Kelly, good job with the motorcyclist. I’ve been toting around pretty substantial med kits in the vehicles for a long time but (depending on how you look at it) fortunately haven’t had to use them.

Have you had any additional med training since the class out by Centennial Airport a few year ago?

Had you read Leadership & Training for the Fight &/or The Tactical Trainer prior to the class? After the class? Thoughts on the books/class combo in terms of clarifying points or as reminders after the fact?

Great AAR on the class. Paul’s pistol & carbine instructor classes are on my list for sure. I don't know if I’ll be able to swing them next year- Kris really wants to hit the NTI so that’ll soak up a lot of the training budget & my job location is up in the air.

Do you have a plan for the carbine instructor class?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YammyMonkey View Post
    Hey Kelly, good job with the motorcyclist. I’ve been toting around pretty substantial med kits in the vehicles for a long time but (depending on how you look at it) fortunately haven’t had to use them.

Have you had any additional med training since the class out by Centennial Airport a few year ago?
    Thanks. We did one range day (the one where Heather took that steel penetrator core ricochet to the knee) where we were practicing self-tourniquet application, but no 'formal' classes since TacSolutions.

Had you read Leadership & Training for the Fight &/or The Tactical Trainer prior to the class? After the class? Thoughts on the books/class combo in terms of clarifying points or as reminders after the fact?
    I hadn't, but I did finish reading Leadership and Training for the Fight while I was down there. And yes a lot of the book dovetails into the classes. Again, its a subtle experience, and I won't go into it, because it spoils the effect if you know what to look for.

Great AAR on the class. Paul’s pistol & carbine instructor classes are on my list for sure. I don't know if I’ll be able to swing them next year- Kris really wants to hit the NTI so that’ll soak up a lot of the training budget & my job location is up in the air.

Do you have a plan for the carbine instructor class?
    Well, if you want to work on the materials, let me know. I have a pretty bad case of tendonitis from a previous injury that flared up pretty badly during the class, so I'm supposed to rest that arm for 3 weeks, but I'll be glad to work on it with you. As for my plans, if we can swing it Heather and I may try to hit Rifle Instructor in April. I generally just rent a car and drive down. Saves wear and tear on my vehicles, and I can carry all the gear that I normally take.
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 10-30-09 at 07:27.
    Kelly H

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some more pics:

Despite plenty of student-instructor, MSG Howe was always willing to lend a hand

Running the students through the movement range while dryfiring

Students taking the standards, the final 25yd shot
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 10-31-09 at 09:33.
    Kelly H

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast