Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Civilian SERE course?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    There is more to SERE than sneaking around the woods in multicam eating bunny rabbits and dandilions. )
    Shit, for $100, anyone can feel free to come to my house and I'll brew some dandelion tea with 'em.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    Thanks. I'll be doing some research on the different classes. In the mean time, has anyone taken such a class or recommend a certain one?
    It has kinda been said already... but the military SERE course has components that not only do not translate to civilian life, but really don't have much purpose in that setting -- you already know that the ERE are what sets it apart from a garden variety survival course; I can see where the first E would have some real time function enhancements in the proverbial EOTWSHTFBBQ, but the R and the later E... not so much.

As has already been mentioned, a lot of the course is sensitive and/or classified info, but suffice to say that it is not so much about the individual, as it is the individual's role in the greater collective.

SERE is part of the military life, and like most things is divided into levels... every swinging Richard gets some SERE training, along with lacing your boots and brushing your teeth; the duty to evade and resist capture and make every effort to escape is part of the Code of Conduct, which of course is part of all of that pesky required training.

Recently, SERE schools have come to the attention of the media... although they have been around a long time, there are still those that run around and pan the existence of the schools - with much of the same dogma as was used 30 years ago; which is that the school has a long lasting and deleterious effect on those who where part of it. Not true, trust me; I got the whole Happy Meal and I have a piece of paper from doctors of two different branches, that say I am sound as the pound.

I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Im looking for more of the "SE" part of it. Ixnay the "RE". A survival course with"evasion" added in there, like how to effectively camouflage yourself, cover your tracks, eluding pursuit, etc...I guess an option would be to take a survival course to get the basics and then read a book about the evading part.

Feedback Score
    I am sure that finding a survival course in your area is not a problem?

From there... apply Guaranteed Failure Analysis: if you don't want to be found, learn everything that would make finding your easier, then don't do any of that.

Find and take a good tracking class, maybe help out with your local SAR volunteers?

And nothing beats really doing it... get out and break some trail.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    Are there any SERE type courses available to civilians? I think this type of training is good to know, could one day prove to be useful and save your life, and also a little fun.
    So you want to get the crap beat out of you? Why?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    So you want to get the crap beat out of you? Why?
    Read post #23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    So you want to get the crap beat out of you?
    Without the perks after
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Theres a good one in Malaysia Ive been trying to get for about a decade through .mil, if I cant land it before I collect a pension Id be willing to pay for a course as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are in Florida, Bushdo Tactical holds what they call a a Specialized Urban Survival Readiness (SUSR) course.

It lasts two days -- from 5pm on a Friday until 5pm on the following Sunday. I've spoken with the instructor and he knows his stuff.

I'll probably take it the next opportunity I have.
    Last edited by CharlieMike; 12-02-09 at 17:42.
    Disclosure: I'm a dealer/owner of an online firearms accessories store.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaleen View Post
    This is something I stumbled upon while surfing the net, I don't know anything about it's credibility but I think it's along the lines of what your asking about.

http://www.civilianrangerschool.com/
    Dead link.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast