Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "fighting bolt gun" thread mkII- cartridge selection

Feedback Score

"fighting bolt gun" thread mkII- cartridge selection

Rather than muddy the waters of the first thread, I figure that a second thread would be better to discuss the round needed for an ideal GP/fighting bolt gun.

I am leaving 7.62x39 aside for now, since a) there aren't that many guns where it'd be an option, and b) lack of range potential, and c) accuracy.

I am kind of stuck between .223 on the low end, .243 or 6.5SE in the middle, or .308. All seem to have their pros and cons. What say you?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i'd pick .308 for its good general performance at short to middle distances, wide selection of different ammo/loads and relative availability.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd also choose .308 for the wide selection of available ammunition and components, plus in the right rifle, the 308 Winchester is very accurate. Plus it has enough punch without getting into unpleasant recoil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i'd pick .308 for its good general performance at short to middle distances, wide selection of different ammo/loads and relative availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by JStor View Post
    I'd also choose .308 for the wide selection of available ammunition and components, plus in the right rifle, the 308 Winchester is very accurate. Plus it has enough punch without getting into unpleasant recoil.
    These.

If not a .308, I'd choose another mainstreatm caliber suitable for medium to smaller large game that would pass the Walmart availability test.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd invoke rob_s and say it all depends on a realistic appraisal of your requirements.

If you live in a relatively urban environment, you might be worried about overpenetration.

If you live in the middle of Alaska, it might not matter.

Assuming the "fighting" bolt action isn't going to be "fighting" griz, I'd argue that .308 and 30.06 are about as powerful as you want to get but wonder about their application for urban fighting or CQB type applications.

.223 has the virtue of being ubiquitous and very versatile across a variety of applications but loses terminal effectiveness beyond 400-500 yards. 7.62x39 is an interesting idea but doesn't bring much in terms of better range.

.243 or .270 don't really lend themselves to volume shooting but ballistically fit quite nicely in the role.

It really seems like a choice between .223 and .308.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    6.5x55 Swede. Ammo is available from all the majors and the ballistics are, well, great!

Feedback Score

here in CA

the "targets" might be mountain lion, smallish black bear, feral dogs, and feral men. "Game" might be hogs, Mule deer etc. Nothing really big.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What skintop said.

.308 or 30-06 most likely.

..... and some of these;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40203

Feedback Score
    That depends on what you're expecting out of the rifle, no?

I'm thinking .223 is probably too light for most of what the "fighting bolt gun" would be used for. In the Southeast, .243 and .270 are readily available; .308 is usually available, but more often sold out. There are probably more kinds of .308 available than its 6mm and 6.5mm cousins, but I wouldn't feel short-changed by the .243 and .270 hunting rounds that are readily available. Reloading data, brass and components are easy enough to get a hold of (present powder/primer shortages notwithstanding), so whatever I don't find to my liking in a store I can roll my own.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Assuming it will have a reduced capacity, say 5 or 10 rounds most likely IMO that means a more effective cartridge.

I love my 5.56 ARs, but I also have 30 rounds on tap. With a Bolt Gun id expect more for less, as weird as that seems

For me as the ultimate fighting bolt gun in an Enfield modernized a bit, the .303 is a great cartridge, it performs like a .308 though its harder to find in the US than .308

So Id say .303/.308
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast