Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "fighting bolt gun" thread mkII- cartridge selection

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I prefer the .30-'06 in a "fighting bolt gun". Not only is it deffinately powerful enough to stop a person, it will also put down any animal on the north american continent. I have a Rem710 in .30-'06 as a hunting rifle for my trips out west for big game, i wouldnt hesitate to use it as a fighting rifle either with the right optic.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You can walk into any mom and pop gun shop/hardware store/box store and get .30-06 or .270 Win. Almost any will also stock .308 Win.

Personally, I'd go with .308 Win.

Some bolt rifles will handle good quality "battlepack" surplus 7.62 NATO in their chambers, which is a plus.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That depends on what you're expecting out of the rifle, no?

I'm thinking .223 is probably too light for most of what the "fighting bolt gun" would be used for. In the Southeast, .243 and .270 are readily available; .308 is usually available, but more often sold out. There are probably more kinds of .308 available than its 6mm and 6.5mm cousins, but I wouldn't feel short-changed by the .243 and .270 hunting rounds that are readily available. Reloading data, brass and components are easy enough to get a hold of (present powder/primer shortages notwithstanding), so whatever I don't find to my liking in a store I can roll my own.

-B
    This is what concerns me. Online sale to CA has just taken a (future) hit, and plenty of places just can't keep .308 or .223 in ANY FLAVOR on the shelves. I can go into most stores and find zero selection of those calibers, or .22lr for that matter. Lots of places have basic loads in .30-06 and .243, though. Same with .270.

I am still thinking about this aspect of the project. I availablity (and future availability) where not an issue, I'd probably select .308.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I can handle a .308 just fine, good choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Something to consider: Most folks are going to run these guns in their compact forms, 16-20" or so. Commercially available loads are going to contain a load development and projectile selection optimized for a typical barrel length, usually 22-24". How that load will perfom in shorter variations will differ than the longer ones, and a loss of some terminal performance should be expected.

For example, if you were needing true .308 terminal performance, but were running a short gun, choosing a 30-06 or another higher velocity ~.30 calber might be a better option.

Double check your actual velocities, and consult manufacturers for thresholds in individual projectile performance. Get the right tech on the phone, and they can be very informative.

Rather than the low-recoil loads filling up dealer shelves, I'd love to see some that are optimized for barrels of 16-20".
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I will vote for the .308 Win. as well, it has sufficient power and is available everywhere.

Personally, I prefer the 260 Rem. as an all-around cartridge, but it is not universally available like the .308.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 308, but would also have liked a 7.62X39. Its too bad the FN is too heavy and has too long a bbl, and is not being currently produced.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...04&mid=FNM0135

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I built mine (pics posted in the other thread) in 30-06, but would be perfectly happy with a 308 Win and will probably have one built at some point.
    Last edited by frbowers; 11-08-09 at 13:41.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    the "targets" might be mountain lion, smallish black bear, feral dogs, and feral men. "Game" might be hogs, Mule deer etc. Nothing really big.

Many states don't allow hunting with anything under .23 or maybe .24

Feedback Score
    I personally like the .30-06. But you said fighting, which for me means a short action rifle, and with that in mind .308win would be the best choice. Perhaps in a scout rifle configuration.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12