Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cold weather shooting glove?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Your favorite cold weather shooting glove?

Tis the season to talk about cold weather shooting gloves.

If you have a favorite, tell us the brand and WHY you like them for shooting.

It may be that the best gloves are not marketed for the "tactical" community... hmm me thinks maybe yes...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Outdoor Research gloves are my favorite winter glove. They were issued to me when I was stationed in Norfolk for our field ops in Quantico. They were softshells and used them as liners under my issued leather gloves. I'm pretty sure they aren't marketed towards the tactical community but more like outdoor enthusiasts and skiers. Plus you can get them at REI
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OR Gear vigil or sentry (short version of the vigil). they use massif FR softshell material with a soft fleece interior. comfy, warm and water resistant. good feel and dexterity. only small gripe is the seam across the palm, which is right on the backstrap when you're holding a pistol or AR.
    other cold weather gloves were too bulky (goretex etc) and didn't have good grip. fleece liners keep the hands pretty warm but are way too slippery for shooting.
    the vigil/sentry are a good mix of features. not perfect, but the closest so far to what i'd want in a cold weather shooting glove.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've tried many different types of cold weather gloves, but the ones I like as the best compromise between dexterity, warmth, durability, and water resistance are these:

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...ldweather.aspx

I haven't bought any since SW Motorsports was absorbed by Camelback, so I don't know if they've changed w/ the change in companies but the photo looks the same. They also had GSA pricing the last time I bought them which makes the cost MUCH more reasonable.

Feedback Score
    Here in GA I get by fine with the nomex flight gloves. Never considered them til seeing guys mention them on Lightfighter. They are not expensive and work as well as the much more expensive gloves I've tried.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used the kangaroo skin Cabalas black shooting glove that is insulated and its worked really well for me just stay with the non goretex model as it seems to give you a better feel on things

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I have hunted deer and when I was in ARMY I used wool control dot gloves with good results both half finger and full finger and even when they get wet they have kept my fingers warm
    Last edited by awm14hp; 11-03-09 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not very elite or tactical, but for the winter shooting I do (mostly M14s at intermediate distances, slow fire) I like to wear polypropylene liners under those rag wool mittens with flip-back ends.

I know it's not very suited to what a lot of people here would be doing but for the slow, calm shooting I do, which is mostly from prone or kneeling, it is not a bad approach. I can flip the mitten part back right before I take the shot.

I am not often out below -15 or so. Below that I think would probably require more glove, as would wind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Different and maybe hard to get a hold of in the US, but these are the best gloves I've ever owned.

The Archer gloves by Chevalier, a Swedish firm.

Some others I've found that I haven't used but I believe are just as good as the Archers, are the ones made by Norrona, a Norwegian firm.

Feedback Score
    Underarmor makes some very thin fleece gloves that are good when it's kind of cold. If I need warmer, while still maintaining the ability to shoot, I put Mechanix gloves on over the Underarmor gloves.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
    H.L. Mencken

"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool, or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant; If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of Honor." -Omertà

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After 30+ Alaskan years I can offer the following caution. Stretchy fleece or wool liner type gloves can catch and bind triggers under stress situations. I've seen it happen numerous times so they are best avoided.

Unfortunately, there are no miracle fabrics or insulations regardless of advertising. Thickness is warmth. The thicker the glove the warmer it is. The thicker the glove, the less trigger feel and more chance of binding. In below 0, I use the nomex liner under German army mittens on idiot cords. I shake the mitten off when ready to shoot. It slows you down but if you can't feel your fingers because you didn't protect them it's even slower and harder to handle a trigger properly. For moderate cold, +20 to +40 I use a wind resistant Manzella fleece glove that has a thin synthetic layer on the finger surface that provides a little trigger feel and doesn't catch or bind. For moderate cold weather the good old nomex glove works just fine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast