Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cold weather shooting glove?

Feedback Score
    another vote for the cabellas roo gloves
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...368&hasJS=true
    I always used the thinsulate version and they worked pretty damn well for the winter in western anbar for me. Very good dexterity, I had one pair for an entire deployment and then used them again through my next workup
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way. We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions-Aristotle

The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid-Marcus Aurelius

For these things give thanks at nightfall:
    The day gone, a guttered torch,
    A sword tested, the troth of a maid,
    Ice crossed, ale drunk- Havamal

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it really depends on what your version of winter is.

How cold and how wet?

Ice climbing gloves are the best, most durable gloves for most winter "active" pursuits. They are designed to be bomb-proof and high dexterity with good feel and grippy. They make them for cool to blizzard weight designs. The hands down best all around ice climbing glove is the Black Diamond Punisher. It is a "midweight" glove and the thickest glove I could imagine getting in a trigger guard. They fit great and have fantastic impact padding on them that you would simply have to read about to appreciate.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...loves/punisher

I have lighter weight Marmot Ice gloves that I do shoot with often and then Marmot Alpine Gloves for ice that would be too burly to shoot with.

This is one I looked at today that is a little lighter weight than the BD Punisher and has promise.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetai...ial+Glove.html

Then again these are all for below freezing. Cold Rain would need something completely water proof tho these are very water resistant.

My Hatch Operator gloves suck ass in the cold. The leather conducts the cold to fingertips.
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 11-11-09 at 03:53.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Outdoor Research "Rucker" Gloves. They're not made anymore. They were part of the RFI glove system that was being issued several years ago.

Fire resistant Polartec Powerstretch fleece
    leather palm and fingers (like a flight glove)
    not too thick, not too thin
    form fitting
    gauntlet style, but not as long as a flight glove
    fire resistant
    actual Polartec fabric, not some Massif wannabe
    color: black only (my only issue with them)

I bought 2 or 3 pairs before they were discontinued.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Living in upstate NY I've had to deal with bad winters for a long time. I keep my regular shooting/duty gloves but wear a pair of nitrile exam gloves underneath (the same exam gloves doctors, nurses, emt's wear). The exam gloves retain your body heat, are thin enough that you don't lose any dexterity like you would with thicker winter gloves and since you wear them under your duty gloves they are protected so they don't get ripped. At first this sounded a little crazy to me, but then I tried it and wouldn't go back to thicker winter gloves again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Vapor Barriers for keeping warm work as long as you can keep the vapor/moisture inside the barrier, but I'd think your hands would eventually get trench hand doing that every day? Do your hands not get prune-like wearing the nitrile gloves?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We used to do that, working construction outside in the winter.

Nitrile under orange insulated textured rubber, just the thing for extreme winter work.

I never had any problems with "trench hand" but then I would strip off the gloves after 5-6 hours for lunch, then go another 5-6 hours, but then my hands would generally be warm and dry for the next 10-12 hours as I went home, had dinner, slept etc.

How it would work in a combat environment, I am not sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    Vapor Barriers for keeping warm work as long as you can keep the vapor/moisture inside the barrier, but I'd think your hands would eventually get trench hand doing that every day? Do your hands not get prune-like wearing the nitrile gloves?
    I haven't had that problem. I've worn them for both short periods of time (doing warrants) and longer periods of time (6-8 hrs or more on call outs). Generally if its cold enough to have to wear them, my hands don't sweat that much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just looked at the Cabela's Kangaroo gloves and they're on sale for $20! I tried them on a few weeks ago but decided not to get them because of the price tag. Today I went to the range and my hands were freezing (27 degrees with mild wind) so i'm definately picking up a pair tomorrow.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=195068

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    I just looked at the Cabela's Kangaroo gloves and they're on sale for $20! I tried them on a few weeks ago but decided not to get them because of the price tag. Today I went to the range and my hands were freezing (27 degrees with mild wind) so i'm definately picking up a pair tomorrow.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=195068

Thanks just ordered two more pair for that price

Feedback Score
    I've tried Northface Windwall (they are anything but) and Mechanix cold weather gloves.

The Northface didn't do much and the fingers had fuzzy fleece that just soaked up oil and then ripped while loading mags, etc. I now stay away from anything fuzzy or with rubber patches and would go to something that is a consistent material.

The Mechanix are okay but don't go far enough up the wrist.

Good thread...looking to try something new...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast