Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Places in NC to go Shoot

Feedback Score
    I'd be in for any type of training in or reasonable distance from Raleigh. I'm new in town and seeking out new places to shoot, train, and shop.

A big +1 for the 'Wake county firearms education center' That place is 10 mins from my new place. I went down for the safety brief ($15)and like 50-60 people were in the class. Couple of chicks were taking notes, and two dudes showed up in uniform (army) Looked like the full gammit of experience to me. They even had a 50Q written test.

To address someones question on here, they are class III friendly, but no full auto and be damn skippy to have your papers on you as the sherrifs dept 'owns' the range.

They allow anything up to and not including 50bmg. Guy said they aren't equipped for that. Cross-draws are also a no-go. Drills are allowed.

The staff there seemed pretty cool and very knowledgeable. They did seem to be safety nazi's which is a good thing with so many zero experience people around. They take safety to the point where when you have your weapon in a case on the table, it is to be oriented with the muzzle downrange. The rate is $10 an hour for a lane, with sharing OK.

I'm going to try to get up there this week for some trigger time, I'll post my impresion here afterwards.

Feedback Score
    I live in Asheville. I am a member at On Target, just off Sweeten Creek Road. It is an indoor range. They allow double taps, but not rapid fire.

I asked about were to shoot he AR (MY first is due next Tuesday). I was told to do to a public range in Heywood County near Lake Logan.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    I asked about were to shoot he AR (MY first is due next Tuesday). I was told to do to a public range in Heywood County near Lake Logan.
    Since you're already up there, there's a little spot out in the country that you can go shooting on ANY time, at the Haywood/Jackson Co. line, right off 23/74, near the Blue Ridge Parkway.

As you pass the rest area (on the east-bound side of the highway) well on past Hazelwood - headed towards Sylva - you're coming up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. JUST before you get there, there's a little road that shoots off to the right, called Fern Trail.

Head down there about a quarter mile or so, to the first curve in the road. There'll be a wide spot on the side to your left, and this time of year - if the undergrowth isn't too thick yet, you should see a gate blocking your way up a trail. You can park there, and hike up. Follow the road - it'll switchback to the left halfway up, and you'll eventually come to a clearing, that has 80' high berms, with 60' - 100' high pines and oaks on top of that. It's an old, abandoned, solid landfill (sofas, washing machines, cabinets, etc.), and the Haywood Co. Sheriff's Dept. told us years ago it was OK to go shooting there - you'll find TONS of brass and steel casings there on the ground. You can set up targets, and run a "course" of your own design there without being hassled!

My college wingman and I laid down a wall of brass up there 20 years ago, when you could buy brass-cased Norinco .223 and Norinco 7.62x39 from Enka Candler Pawn & Gun World, for $.99/box o' 20.

THOSE were the days...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Just off Interstate 95! The Sportsman's Range!

Not sure why no one has said this:

Sportsman's Range at the TigerSwan Training Collaboration Center

The Sportsman's Range offers 25 pistol and rifle firing points with overhead cover, benches and portable-targets stands which can be placed from three to 100 meters. Shooters must present a photo identification to sign up for range use.

The Sportsman’s Range also offers an archery range in order to hone your archery skills.

Pre-registration is not required. Shooters can rent firearms and purchase ammunition, targets and accessories at the Pro Shop on site. Accepted payments are cash, credit, debit, or check.

http://sportsman.tigerswan.com/

Last edited by abnartyguy; 01-11-12 at 13:11. Reason: add pic
    -Zef M.
    Sales Guy
    Shooters Supply, Fay, NC

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    AntHillRange.com

Bolivia NC near Wilmington, 8 bays:from 50yds to 150yds. Manicured bays and good upkeep.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    There's also Sure Shot Gun Sports located in Havelock, NC. They teach CCW classes and hold a monthly Cowboy Action Shoot. They offer a 500 yd range as well. Directions and hours are located on their website. Cost is $15 to shoot all day.

Lots of pics of the range here

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PHA

I shoot here: phashoots.com located in cnetral NC, just outside of Lexington NC. Several pistol bays, 100 yard rifle range with plenty of points, a 200 yard range, ten pistol bays. We also have a five stand clay position. Rowan has been mentioned, and I use to go there quite a bit to shoot skeet. They have a GREAT layout of regulation skeet fields.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    AntHillRange.com

Bolivia NC near Wilmington, 8 bays:from 50yds to 150yds. Manicured bays and good upkeep.
    This.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Here's a couple more;

Rocky Mount/Edgecombe County: Old Hickory Gun Club- Skeet, Trap (Matches, check website), SASS matches monthly, Pistol/Rifle out to 200yds.
    Membership Required.
    Club matches are open to non-members.
    www.oldhickorygunclub.com

Falkland/Pitt County: Pitt County Wildlife Club- Shotgun, Pistol/Rifle out to 200yds.
    Membership Required.
    Club Matches are open to non-menbers.
    www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org

Keith

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    shooters in Fayetteville?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast