Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit cost

Feedback Score

CF Range Time

Quote Originally Posted by four View Post
    doesn't that start to wear on your rotator cuffs after a while?
    The magic as it were behind a CF way of working out is that You are doing "Constantly Varied Functional Movements performed at High Intensity" A work out with a Kettlebell may come around once a month if that so you don't get the problems of over use injuries.

Feedback Score
    $0

I use the work gym, it's generally always empty when I go in so I can impose my will on the weights unobstructed

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just joined Crossfit Legacy LLC. I have completed the Fundamentals class and am about to begin what I hope last the rest of my life. I agree that the attraction for me at this point is the group environment and the instructor/trainer relationship.

For me being 45 and over weight the fact that the program can be adjusted on all levels to match my current ability is worth the price of admission. I would almost have to say that the classes remind me in a way of what I get from attending a pistol/carbine school if that makes any sense. A lot of the motivation and support comes from the group of individuals in attendance. There is no way that I would push myself in the garage this hard so I would never realize the amount of Work I am capable of ever doing.

Today I will be a spectator in the WOD as Crossfit Legacy is having a "Project Lumberjack Fundraiser" to support the troops at Ft. Hood. It is my understanding that members of Crossfit Lumberjack suffered casualties and losses as a result of the Ft. Hood shooting.

I think I am coming to the understanding that Crossfit is about more than a great workout and the individuals involved are very special people whom I am proud to associate with.

Monthly cost vary depending on the number of visits for me is $90-$125.

http://crossfitlegacy.com/

Feedback Score
    I just paid about $250 for the first month with the foundations course. After that its around $150/month. Its a lot of money in my opinion and I resisted it for a long time, but I finally decided I wasn't going to get as good on my own and realized that my fitness is well worth the cost. I initially planned on taking it for just a while until I learnt the moves better, then switching back to using a free work gym - but I'm finding that the environment of working with a group and the increased demands I put on myself there may keep me going back long term.

Feedback Score
    My gym is also 150.00 but they give a 50.00 discount for LEO, 33% off is pretty good in my eyes.

Feedback Score
    Can someone explain what crossfit is and why it is superior to just doing regular weight lifting and cardio? I've seen some of the crossfit websites and all of their explainations look more like mission statements, which really mean nothing. Some of the workouts I've seen on those sites honestly don't look like much, but there must be something to it because if I've heard of it in the rock I live under it must be getting big.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GreglFaggins View Post
    Can someone explain what crossfit is and why it is superior to just doing regular weight lifting and cardio? I've seen some of the crossfit websites and all of their explainations look more like mission statements, which really mean nothing. Some of the workouts I've seen on those sites honestly don't look like much, but there must be something to it because if I've heard of it in the rock I live under it must be getting big.
    Do it without any breaks against a clock...

Feedback Score
    There are several things that for me make crosstit good. First it is coached and in a class so you are competing even if you dont think you are. As far as the workouts themselves it is intense and fast. The workout I did today was twenty some minutes and I could hardly breathe at the end. I have done the weight thing and ran plenty but this is something more. Not sure if I answered the question for you but if you would like to know anything else Ill try to help. Also not sure about all gyms but mine does free evalls on thursday to test were you are and give you a very small taste of crossfit. Try it you may like it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreglFaggins View Post
    Crossfit isn't anything particularly special as a concept - cross training. Glassman/CF hasn't come up with any new techniques in particular, just named them and introduced an element of competitiveness within a class structure.

A lot of the ideas are good, but you'll find them elsewhere - Tabata-ing moves is widely known, Olympic lifting has something of a resurgence, kettlebells are popular, etc.. The WODs themselves are rather haphazard as posted on the main site - some good variations exist (Crossfit Strength, Crossfit Football) that are more goal oriented.

I appreciate the idea behind mixing up physical activities, keeping things fresh and not limiting everything to lifting barbells and running, but people like Ross Enamait are doing it better than Crossfit in general, IMO.

There are also some issues within the Crossfit community - you can open a facility under the CF name after attending one certification (one or two days) for a thousand bucks. No real proficiency in training methods or personal training need be demonstrated. A lot of people are starting to push back against the Zone nonsense CF officially endorses. In the last year or so, they've lost the input and work of Mark Rippetoe (a great strength coach, wrote Starting Strength/Practical Programming) and just lost Robb Wolf (coach, their former nutrition seminar guy, Paleo diet advocate).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also in the good column for a lot of people is the group atmosphere. Personally I'd rather work alone, so I may not understand a big chunk of the Crossfit appeal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast