Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: reloading a 5.56 brass using .223 dies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chime View Post
    Guys, I need your help.

I've been reloading handgun ammo for 12 years now but it's my first time to reload a rifle ammo. My first concern is all my brass are 5.56 and my dies are marked .223. Can i reload safely using a .223 dies? is this safe? I'll be using it in a 5.56 chambered M4.

Thanks for the help.
    Your speedometer has MPH and KPH on it and 60 MPH is 96.560747 KPH but but are the same speed.

And .223 Rem is the same as 5,56 is the Metric Conversion of the .223 Rem.

Please notice below on the left side the black RCBS die box marked .223/5.56x45. Chambers and dies vary in size and none of my dies below are exactly the same "BUT" they are for the same caliber no matter what side of the Atlantic you live on.

Quote Originally Posted by JFArmsCo View Post
    ya know, this is the first time Im going to blatently say people on this forum are just pure useless cocky assholes when someone asks a question. yes, I have a chrono, yes I have tested the XM193 loads over it. what I was asking for is if anyone else had loaded anything close and what kind of results they were getting. there is no need for any of you to act high and mighty and treat other people who have questions to such things as dumb ignorant morons.

last time Ill ask for help from any of you in here.

Below is the load data for duplicating military cartridges even if you think someone is a anus orifice. (same size as a metric orifice)

Last edited by bigedp51; 04-10-19 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Below is the load data for duplicating military cartridges even if you think someone is a anus orifice. (same size as a metric orifice)

Side note... I just googled those two ass-clowns from 2009:

Freakshow Mfg. closed shop in 2010. (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/outd...g-up-shop.html)

JF Arms' website is now defunct. (www.jfarmscompany.com)

No wonder... Having seen their posts here, I wouldn't have ever bought anything from them. I sure as hell wouldn't have let them near my guns or used their ammo, even if it were free.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boggle View Post
    They also mention the 556 has a thicker sidewall for its higher pressure.

I've got a 556 chambered AR. So does this mean perhaps if I shoot 223 cartridges through it and try to reload those that over time those may become weaker faster since they aren't designed that for the pressures that the 556 chamber produces? Maybe I should try to just buy 556 casings then....

So to answer my own question I guess those dies would be fine. My only concern. Is that when 223 rounds are fired in a 556 chamber, wouldn't that deform on the chamfered neck of the casing since it's unsupported in that small area?
    What is going on on this site? There's almost no differences in .223/5.56 brass in most cases. As far as firing/sizing, there is no difference at all. A 5.56 chamber has some leade differences, but the brass can be used/sized interchangeably.

There are a few odd ball brass variants that have internal volume differences.... MEN, small font PMP, etc. Those can cause pressure variances due to decreased internal case volume.

MEN brass, for example, bumped velocities like 40 fps on one of my loads. But again... sizing/firing is irrelevant to chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345