Thread: Remington 700 PSS - bolt handle does not go all the way down

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Remington 700 PSS - bolt handle does not go all the way down

Greetings,

I got a used Rem 700 PSS a few weeks ago. I had a chance to finally take it to the range today. I chambered a cartridge, took the safety off, press the trigger, Click. Ejectted the cartrige, and the primer didn't look like anything even hit. Upon further inspection, it seems that when the rifle is ready to fire, the bolt handle is not all the way down. Even applying slight pressure (which I shouldn't) it still doesn't go all the way down. I even compared it to a new Remington 700 in the store. The one in the store, had its bolt handle all the way down into the stock's recess.
    I haven't done anything to the rifle since I got it. What could be causing this issue?

A few pictures to illustrate:

This is the most I can get the bolt handle down with or without a cartridge being chambered

Thanks,

Andrew.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)

Question

Andrew have you tried putting the safety on "safe" and then see if it will go down, the same for "fire" position? Seems I have heard of this before just not sure what the remedy was! Good luck! Have you tried removing the bolt completely and re-inserting?

Grunt Out!
    Semper Fi!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    USMCGRUNT,

It was "operator error". My recently installed scope mount had screws that were a little too long, causing the blot not to close completely.

Arr!

Andrew.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was the scope already installed on it when you bought it?

Will the bolt handle go down without a round in it? If the bolt handle will not go all the way down on an empty chamber, I bet that the mount screws on the front scope base are sticking through into the receiver contacting the bolt.

Basically, the screws are reversed. (longer rear base screws in the front holes)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Smile

Oops, I was too late.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    carshooters,

Still, thanks!
    I got with a different, ugly mount. I ended up having to remove a stippred screw from that mount before putting the Leupold mount on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only reason I knew what it was right away is because I've done that a time or two, myself!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was going to pop in and tell you that your screws were too long just by reading the subject.

Don't ask me how I know.