Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New "Hypercav" bullet design

Feedback Score

New "Hypercav" bullet design

Someone posted this link to the website over on AR15.com: http://www.hypercavbullets.com/

I will bite my tongue with the exception of the following image which is blatantly false:

A "conventional" hollowpoint does NOT take 4" to expand - not to mention the poor penetration depth.

As far as the bullet performance of the Hypercav is concerned: I'll withold judgment until comprehensive testing by an independent reviewer is done on the FBI protocol. If they work correctly, there's no reason to shun them. From a first look, the fantastic and distorted claims on the website do not give a favorable impression though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    Someone posted this link to the website over on AR15.com: http://www.hypercavbullets.com/

I will bite my tongue with the exception of the following image which is blatantly false:

A "conventional" hollowpoint does NOT take 4" to expand - not to mention the poor penetration depth.

As far as the bullet performance of the Hypercav is concerned: I'll withold judgment until comprehensive testing by an independent reviewer is done on the FBI protocol. If they work correctly, there's no reason to shun them. From a first look, the fantastic and distorted claims on the website do not give a favorable impression though.
    I have seen hi-speed videos of JHP handgunbullets hitting gel. We are talking maybe .5-1.5" before FULL expansion was observed. The TBBC rifle projectile takes 1-2". Same with the barnes TSX's.

So...these tiny holes...they will not be instantly crushed upon impact, but rather will stay patent until all the air is out of the cavity? I dunno if I buy that either.

I guess wait-and-see is the "safe" response, but I forsee fail.

"I’ve done the calculations (my calculus by hand sucks, by the way) and designs on AUTOCad Inventor, and verified those with Solidworks. Ran simulations on same. I’ve also made a few prototypes (crudely, I might add) and tested them. To date, I have every reason to suggest that this new round will be reliable, safe, devastatingly effective, and simple/cost-effective to integrate with current hollow-point slug designs with minimal effort. "-The Inventor (taken from linked website)

I'm sorry, but the above does NOT inspire my confidence. Maybe I am just hard to impress.

I would like to see side-by-side tests in IWBA 4-layer gel, etc.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-09-09 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    taptap...Stan, is that you?

Feedback Score
    Yet another "wonder bullet" with false advertising claims...

There are many good bullets available, I guess some people think that if you are unknown then you have to be "different" and claim a "breakthrough" to get some makert share.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Yet another "wonder bullet" with false advertising claims...

There are many good bullets available, I guess some people think that if you are unknown then you have to be "different" and claim a "breakthrough" to get some makert share.
    Looks to me like he is modifying existing projectiles.

Feedback Score
    SuperCav sounds like it is trying to build on that Russian super cavitating torpedo/missile technology.

The older I get the more I realize that if something seems to good to be true, EVEN if you have data, it probably won't be that much spectacular in the long run. There are just too many smart people out there for huge gains to be made in something as explored and studied as projectiles.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    I wonder if they also sell magnets for your vehicle's fuel lines

Feedback Score
    I was contacted by that gentleman, and asked if I would be willing to do some tests on their product.

I advised him that to really do valid tests would require ballistic gelatin testing, which I am unable to do.

I suggested to him that he contact DocGKR at this site. He thanked me and said that he would.

No need to thank me, Doc.

Feedback Score

Welcome?

Hi all.

This is my first post here, and I'm pleased to have the opportunity to join this distinguished group.

Coudn't help but notice the chatter related to the Hypercav bullet project, and I'd be happy to answer any reasonable questions you may have.

One point I'd like to stress right off:

The HC round is NOT intended to be the "golden bullet". HC is not perfect...nothing is.

The porting of the cavity simply removes the "compressible factor", the trapped air, that all HP rounds fired must overcome before expansion can begin.

The fundemental factor of the HC concept, is to add additional reliability to existing HP rounds, many of excellent design, to work as intended over a much broader spectrum of conditions.

Work is currently underway to repeat our test results by independent entities, and those results will be published as we get them.

For those who would be critical, bravo. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
    I ask no more or less of you than I'm willing to do myself. Of course be skeptical.

I would ask that you delay judgement until all the facts are in. Fair enough?

I would also point out that currently, there are several very talanted folks working on this project as you read this, and aside from a few minor adjustments, everyone agrees with the concept potential, and the physics behind it.

Much work is still to be done...this is a new concept, and as such, a lot of tweaking is still forthcoming.

For the record, we're not the only ones who believe in the project; currently we're begining talks with one major manufacturer, and I've been contacted by two other so far.

After all is said and done, and proven, wouldn't you want your ammunition to work as designed...only better?

Thanks for your time. Pleasure to be here.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi
    Last edited by They1; 11-10-09 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Are you affiliated with this company? If so, you need to disclose this relationship in your post(s) at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by They1 View Post
    Hi all.

This is my first post here, and I'm pleased to have the opportunity to join this distinguished group.

Coudn't help but notice the chatter related to the Hypercav bullet project, and I'd be happy to answer any reasonable questions you may have.

One point I'd like to stress right off:

The HC round is NOT intended to be the "golden bullet". HC is not perfect...nothing is.

The porting of the cavity simply removes the "compressible factor", the trapped air, that all HP rounds fired must overcome before expansion can begin.

The fundemental factor of the HC concept, is to add additional reliability to existing HP rounds, many of excellent design, to work as intended over a much broader spectrum of conditions.

Work is currently underway to repeat our test results by independent entities, and those results will be published as we get them.

For those who would be critical, bravo. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
    I ask no more or less of you than I'm willing to do myself. Of course be skeptical.

I would ask that you delay judgement until all the facts are in. Fair enough?

I would also point out that currently, there are several very talanted folks working on this project as you read this, and aside from a few minor adjustments, everyone agrees with the concept potential, and the physics behind it.

Much work is still to be done...this is a new concept, and as such, a lot of tweaking is still forthcoming.

For the record, we're not the only ones who believe in the project; currently we're begining talks with one major manufacturer, and I've been contacted by two other so far.

After all is said and done, and proven, wouldn't you want your ammunition to work as designed...only better?

Thanks for your time. Pleasure to be here.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast