Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New "Hypercav" bullet design

Feedback Score
    Feel the love, They1

No problem with this:

"Work is currently underway to repeat our test results by independent entities, and those results will be published as we get them.

For those who would be critical, bravo. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
    I ask no more or less of you than I'm willing to do myself. Of course be skeptical.

I would ask that you delay judgement until all the facts are in. Fair enough?"

But I have to ask, why put that deceiving graph in your site? Difficult not to make funny comments or worse when seeing that kind of "infomercial".

Probably you are looking for sponsors/partnerts/investors to develop/produce the bullets, but if "much work is still to be done", and obviously "all the facts are not in" I would suggest to wait for serious, independent, verifiable results instead of boldly claiming to be "the future of reliable hollowpoint ammunition", no matter what theory or preliminary tests suggest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Are you affiliated with this company? If so, you need to disclose this relationship in your post(s) at the bottom.
    Morning Iraqgunz,

Didn't mean to omit any information. As I am new to this forum, I can miss some points of protocol.

I'm the inventor of Hypercav.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Effect View Post
    > Well that is a surprise. Do we actually have a mechanical engineer involved in bullet design on M4C now that is for real? Welcome, Sir.
    Would you mind telling us a bit about your qualifications, background, etc. I do not wish to ridicule you, I am very interested in bullet design myself.
    Thank you for your time,
    Dave

PS I am curious to find out too how these JHPs will stand up to Doc's testing. REALLY curious!
    Good morning TE/Dave, thanks for the welcome!

My background is as a Design Engineer/New Products Developer.

While over the years my formal education has been diverse, my primary education was at Rice University.
    Besides the Engineering side, other focal points were Aviation, Aerodynamic and Hydrodynamic studies. "Fluid Dynamics" to sum it up.

I currently have 16 Patents that are multi-verse, ranging from now bullet design, to Sunglasses, Pillows, Medical devices, Automotive, Law Enforcement, Military and others.

I also have a "different" sense of humor.
    (GOOGLE: "man legally changes is name to they" for background)

My father was a career Marine (Gunny)(BTW: Happy birthday USMC, "Semper Fi" ), and I spent several years in the Coast Guard ("Hey, I can see the shore from here...").

As a general rule, I would prefer to Listen, ask questions, and keep an open mind, as opposed to speaking, which suggests "conlusions".
    I learn more that way.
    I believe in letting facts take me where I'm going.

I am race blind, color blind, and gender blind. So if someone is either OK, or a stupid a$$ho!e, they earned it, as an individual.

Normally, I don't like talking about myself...talk is cheap.
    However, you guys don't know me from Adam...and you DID ask...

____

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Feedback Score
    I'd be curious to know what kind of tests were done to determine the compressed air was causing a delay in opening the HP vs the HP not opening as fast due to it's design.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    As Tom Burczynski's superb work has detailed, most well designed projectiles have fully upset within the first 2 inches of travel...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Hello,

Please put in your signature line that you are the inventor of this particular bullet. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by They1 View Post
    Morning Iraqgunz,

Didn't mean to omit any information. As I am new to this forum, I can miss some points of protocol.

I'm the inventor of Hypercav.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Done.
    Hypercav Inventor.

Feedback Score
    Mr. They,

Couple of questions:
    1. Do you have a copy of Mr. MacPherson's Book?
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/bulletpenetration.htm
    2. Are you using your own cup and core (bonded or non-bonded) bullet or modifying and existing manufacturer?

3. How much time does it take per bullet to drill the holes?

4. Don't the holes cause a weakness in the jacket (i.e. a point where the petals can come off)?

5. Did you read a column I wrote a few years ago (granted there are a few errors in it that one of the fine contributors here noticed) but it does go into some of the issues you're looking at.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/bullet.pdf

This is a tough crowd around here, After the LeMas bullet fiasco (wasting taxpayer dollars to boot) most everyone who follows this field is very skeptical of new designs. A good rule of thumb would be: results first, marketing second.

Hope you stick around.

Worldskipper
    aka Ken E.
    Last edited by worldskipper; 11-11-09 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    Hi Worldskipper.

If you don't mind, i'll respond to your queries in-line with your text;

Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    Mr. They,

Couple of questions:
    1. Do you have a copy of Mr. MacPherson's Book?
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/bulletpenetration.htm

*No, I don't. I've been to the website a few times, but the links aren't working for some reason.
    I'll keep trying.

2. Are you using your own cup and core (bonded or non-bonded) bullet or modifying and existing manufacturer?

*All of the ammo tested are modified from existing ammunition products. Which was actually part of my original point.
    It's well known by now, that there are many excellent designs out there. An HC modified round simply allows the trapped air in the cavity to "vent" on contact, which in turn removes the compression factor. In other words, Where a typical HP round hits, compresses, fills and expands, the HC round hits, vents while filling, and expands.

It's simply a more efficient exchange of material mediums.

3. How much time does it take per bullet to drill the holes?

*We've done a bunch of these so far. With a jig and drill press, it's only takes about 5 minutes or less now.

4. Don't the holes cause a weakness in the jacket (i.e. a point where the petals can come off)?

*No. If it did, I would've halted the project some time ago.

Again, the Hypercav mod is ONLY designed to augment the original HP rounds' design and performance specs.
    For example, the ports incorporated into a Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38+P, are only 1/32 dia. X 3. In all the tests, performance of the bullet opened as expected, sans one;
    One HC round over expanded when shot into a medium that was 50% more dense than standard gelatin. For reference, the medium was "Bullet test Tube" which was shot with a Speer Gold Dot 125gr. the teprature at that time was 64degrees Fht., when spec called for 73~75 degrees optimum.
    Wierd stuff actually, don't know why I bought it. But I think I understand why their phone number is disconnected...

5. Did you read a column I wrote a few years ago (granted there are a few errors in it that one of the fine contributors here noticed) but it does go into some of the issues you're looking at.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/bullet.pdf

*I did. A well thought out and informative article. I did notice a few small errors, but nothing to get in a snit about.
    Overall, I came away thinking you pay close attention to detail, and write without bias. Something to be commended.

This is a tough crowd around here, After the LeMas bullet fiasco (wasting taxpayer dollars to boot) most everyone who follows this field is very skeptical of new designs. A good rule of thumb would be: results first, marketing second.

*I don't mind tough crowds...this ain't my first Rodeo.

What, is everyone here "shell-shocked" by one guy who would make such ridiculous claims that a shot in the a$$ would kill someone in a few seconds?
    Or that through some magical metalurgical hocus-pocus, a bullet can "distinguish" between metal and meat in milliseconds??
    You've got to be kidding me...

I make no such goofy claims that a 9mm HC round will "blow people to bits". Gimmie a break.

Hypercav is based on proven laws of physics, nothing more, nothing less;
    1. It's a given that air is a compressible gas.

2. Air trapped in any confined space must be negated by some means in order to cause a given reaction, based on the intended purpose. In this case, to cause a bullet cavity to be pressurized by a semi-solid, in order to initiate and facilitate the expansion process.

3. Current bullet designs, ALL current bullet designs, do NOT allow that trapped air to vent, and thusly, that trapped air MUST be compressed to a point where the air is no longer a factor, and can then begin pressurizing the cavity.
    (That's why I was able to patent this concept, and we we searched internationally, all the way back to 1914)

4. Allowing the trapped air to escape as the cavity is filled with a semi-solid, eliminates the air-pressurization factor, allowing the cavity to be instantly filled, pressurized and expanded more rapidly, without the loss of energy during that period.

NOTE: One by-product (theorized, not proven as yet), is that an HC bullet "might" be able to have a smaller diameter HP cavity opening, which could reduce another nemisis to HP's...plugging. (Just a thought, but worth the mention, and further research)

Hope you stick around.

*I'm not going anywhere...

Worldskipper
    aka Ken E.
    Last edited by They1; 11-12-09 at 15:27.
    Hypercav Inventor.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response and thanks for the compliment.

The guy who sells Duncan's book (Shawn Dodson) is here on the forum. Contact him if you have trouble ordering the book.

If he's out of copies I think I've got a spare book around I don't mind parting with.

Worldskipper.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast