Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AAR: VTAC Night Fighter Nov 6-8 2009-Pictures Added

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kyle discussing clearing malfunctions with just one hand.

Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-21-09 at 13:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Student shooting from the driver's seat of the mini van.

Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-21-09 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A shooter (me ) under the watchful and critical eye of Kyle.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the verbal diarrhea. Just finished up my AAR for this class.

=======================================

Viking Tactics conducted their Night Fighter Course at the Linden NC range, 6Nov-8Nov 2009. This was an open enrollment class with local, state, and federal law enforcement, military and civilian shooters in attendance. Experience level was high, although some of us did need a tune-up. As a civilian, I had recently attended the prerequisite Carbine 1.5 course, and was still trying to get “fluent” with the manipulations learned there. I will reiterate what others have said, that if you manage to skip Carbine 1.5, you will be behind the power curve. Prospective students should be competent engaging targets from unconventional positions safely and efficiently, because this class only adds more buttons to push and more problems to work through while taking away luxuries like daylight, open spaces, use of limbs, etc.

So, why sign up for Nightfighter? As a civilian, if I were involved in an armed altercation, chances are that it would occur at night. In my experience, you are lucky if you get ONE night shoot during a training class, and it always seems to raise more questions than answers. This is understandable since instructors are often limited by time, safety, and range considerations. With Nightfighter, students are presented with a golden opportunity to explore the intricacies of a gunfight at night and in/around vehicles.

The instructors for this course possessed a rare combination of teaching ability, shooting ability, and experience. Retired SGM Kyle Lamb was the primary instructor with Dan and Dito serving as AI’s. All instructors are veterans of the Army Special Forces community, and any background history I could provide wouldn’t do them justice. I will say that both AI’s are great instructors in their own right and brought additional insight to the mix. The instructors shot the drills along with us, most times as an exemplar, but even when things turned into the proverbial “soup sandwich”, some great learning was to be had about use of cover, composure under pressure, and finishing the fight. It speaks to the professionalism of these men that they are willing to critique their own performances without excuses.

Given the nature of the curriculum, it was comforting that the instructors were extremely vigilant about safety (as I expect they are for all classes). For instance, I was scolded for sweeping my leg in the car, and the proper handling methods were demonstrated again for all to see. Night also brought it’s own safety challenges, forcing everyone to ramp up their situational awareness. With earpro on, it’s easy to get into a bubble, and it was not uncommon to bump into classmates in the pitch black.

The Linden, NC range is well kept and includes a secondary range that allowed us to break up the full class into 2 groups to cover more ground during the valuable nighttime hours. There are affordable accomodations in nearby Fayetteville, and camping cabins at the KOA on the freeway. There is also quick food available at the nearby gas station/diner. Dinner runs were made more for hot coffee than for food. The weather was clear, but pretty darned cold at night for what I’m used to. Temps dropped into the 30’s, and I found myself underdressed until we got warmed up with a few evolutions.

TD1 started up at 1300. Logistics for a travel course are usually a nightmare unless you’re driving, and I ended being “that guy” trying to uncrate ammo and jam magazines during the opening lecture. On top of that, I had made a few untested changes to my carbine after the Carbine 1.5 class which included a new optic mount. This meant that I would be one of the last shooters done with the perfunctory zeroing session. After everyone was zeroed, we shot the 400 point aggregate allowing the instructors gauge skill levels and address any remedial instruction points. We were also introduced to the new VTAC targets which have very challenging A-zones and brain boxes.

We shot a few of the VTAC drills shown on the website at which point Kyle instructed us to start using our lights during each engagement even though it was daylight. I admittedly half-assed this instruction after seeing the poor effects on my marksmanship. None of us want to suck, but we don’t get better by looking good. At this point, I wanted to look good more than I wanted to learn, and shirking this exercise would come back to bite me later. As day turned into night, I was forced to use my light, and my deficiencies resurfaced. Kyle reprimanded me on my poor light discipline, as I was leaving my carbine light on during transitions resulting in a “shoot here” spotlight at my feet. I would spend the next 3 nights working around the X300 as a carbine light (specifically the switch – more on this later).

TD2 was a long day starting at 0800 with a Leadership and Combat Mindset Seminar at VTAC HQ. Some participants who couldn’t attend Nightfighter traveled just to attend this seminar and with good reason. Kyle draws from his profound operational experience to share the qualities he’s found in effective leaders. Personally, I found surprising similarities to effective leadership in the corporate environment. He also outlines successful preparations and practices tested by combat. These points were all woven together with lessons learned from history by those who made it. This seminar was eye-opening in many regards and well worth the small price of admission.

After our sobering yet inspirational morning seminar, we arrived at the range at 1300 and found our new rides for the weekend parked at the 100 yard line – a large sedan, a minivan, and the infamous armored Neon. We worked around the vehicles in a free-form drill, addressing steel targets from our choice of a variety of unconventional positions. Again, shooters were expected to have a firm grasp of these shooting positions from Carbine 1.5, and we spent the time fine-tuning the details. We then headed downrange while Dan (having unloaded and made safe) stayed back with the vehicles to demonstrate exposure from cover using the same positions. Dan is only slightly bigger than me (sarcasm), and it was extremely difficult to see him much less identify him as a threat.

We spent the rest of the day and night working around the vehicles as cover in a variety of drills. Dan also took half of the class to the secondary range to work on the Highsmith drill and pistol technique. Adding light manipulation to the Highsmith makes an already complicated drill even more difficult. It was also here that I learned my new go-to pistol/handheld light technique. I’ve defaulted to the Harries technique in the past, but the recoil was really slowing down my follow-up shots. Dan showed me what I can only describe as a modified Chapman technique which had minimal effect on recoil management. Learning this technique alone was worth the cost of the class for me.

TD3 started at 1300 with a controlled shoot of the vehicles to study barrier characteristics. We examined the concept of “skipping” rounds, and the effect of glass on bullet trajectory and effectiveness. We also learned that a 90’s Dodge Neon is effectively up-armored. All kidding aside, there were some surprising results, and the only real conclusion was to shoot and adjust until you have an effect on target. This concept would resurface throughout the day as we misjudged bore offsets and had shots thwarted by hoods, bumpers, glass, and even carpet!

We wrapped up the course with the most challenging set of drills I’ve ever run. One-handed, support-side, in-vehicle, bailing-out while maintaining light discipline and addressing any malfunctions along the way. Safety is critical when performing such complex manipulations, and it’s very easy to outrun your headlights. My only comment is that when it’s done right, it feels “sequential”.

Equipment:
    At the close of TD3, one of our moonlighting “journos” commented that no one would care about us or what we had learned, they just wanted to see our gear. Here are my observations about the equipment used in the class with the following caveat – figure out what works for YOU.

I used a Smith & Wesson 5.45 upper on an LMT lower for this course. (Note: Do your buddies a favor and call out if you are shooting an oddball caliber. We had a 5.45 round lock up a 5.56 rifle until a visit to the armorer weeks later.) The weakness in the 5.45 system is the CProducts magazines. I found that the followers must be lubed for consistent function. I used 2 brand new magazines which induced instant double feeds (one with a stuck follower which scattered ammo all over the deck). A few drops of lube, and they ran perfectly from then on. The feedlips also tend to spread prematurely, so keep an eye on them and rotate them out of the lineup as they wear.

My LMT lower came with an LMT 2-stage trigger, which combined with the uprated S&W 5.45 hammer spring leads to the vaguest, yet hardest reset I’ve ever felt. This trigger is functional but not optimal, and will be rectified with a GI trigger soon. I also used a Glock 17 which I learned that I had overlubed. Glocks are not 1911’s (or AR’s) and should not be lubed as such. A slippery extractor was causing FTE’s, and was easily rectified by wiping down the internals.

Aimpoint vs. Eotech. The class was split pretty evenly between the two leading brands of 1x optics, with the latest models (T1 and XPS) present. If the XPS has addressed the reliability issues of the past, then Eotech has a winner on it’s hands. That being said, battery life still goes to Aimpoint even if real-world results may be less than the optimal numbers. Based on the architecture, the T1 can be left on which is important to me. One thing I noticed was Eotech users turning on their sights, which is ok if you’re a prepared assaulter bringing the fight to a target, but it adds a step for a civilian reacting in a home defense role. While reticle choices are highly subjective, the Eotech’s large FOV and reticle can make it easier to find in unconventional positions like support-side brokeback. Personally, I have little trouble getting a decent cheekweld and finding the dot in the T1 FOV. Given my personal criteria, the T1 remains my optic of choice.

Modifications from Carbine 1.5:
    I swapped the lightweight Magpul CTR stock for the heavier ACS. Being a small guy, I try to keep my gear as light as possible, but I feel that the improved cheekweld of the ACS is worth the extra ounces. While I was at it, I picked up a Magpul Enhanced Butt-pad. As Magpul admits, this isn’t really necessary with smaller calibers, even with the 5.45’s crisper recoil. I’ve since swapped back to the lighter standard butt pad, saving the enhanced version for a .308 rifle. I also managed to get one of the QD sockets which I mounted to the outboard (right) side of the stock. In this position, I find that I don’t have to drop my support arm through the sling to switch to support side. Mounted inboard, I would choke myself out if I forgot this step.

On the subject of slings, I also replaced a BFG VCAS sling with a VTAC sling. The VCAS is a great sling in it’s own right, but it didn’t offer enough adjustment range for my body type and the buckle slider wouldn’t hold tension when the sling was used to stabilize the gun. The VTAC sling offers more adjustment range making switching to support side faster and easier for me, and the buckle holds plenty of tension without shifting. I also found the Troy QD’s that VTAC sells are beefier, easier to use, and that the engagement is tighter. Equally spec’ed (padded, MultiCam, QD), they are priced pretty similarly. The VCAS adjustment did feel slightly more intuitive to me, but now that I’m used to the VTAC, there’s no going back.

I have managed to miss the little cord loop on the VTAC buckle on occasion, and I noticed Kyle and his AI’s directly manipulating the buckle “hinge” instead. My solution prior to the class was to add an ITW/Nexus NexGrip Aerohead zipper pull to the end of the cord loop. The NexGrip Aerohead is co-molded with grippy soft rubber surfaces for additional traction. Being that this was a night course, I also added the NiteShade glow-in-the-dark insert. This was easy to charge with a quick burst from a flashlight, and would fade to a dim glow after 30 minutes. If I missed the buckle a couple times, I could look down and find the glowing zipper pull.

I originally installed an VLTOR CASV-S fore end since I didn’t have the tools to remove the barrel nut. After fondling the new Troy-based VTAC fore end at Carbine 1.5, I knew I had to have one. The diameter is very compact, so I can really get my hands around it, and the increased traction is nice too. I chose an 11” length, and the weight is significantly lighter than my old setup. Contrary to other reports, I also found that there is very little flex in the system. I would have liked slightly longer mounting screws for the rail sections, though.

I also couldn’t find a compact way to mount a QD socket to the fore end. I would either have to use the 4” length of rail with an integrated QD socket, or install a 2” length of rail and use a rail-mounted QD. My fix was to chop the 4” rail to just include the QD socket and mounting hole. As a plus, the QD socket is rotation-limited to prevent tangling. I spoke with Kyle about this, and they are looking into cutting down some of the 4” rails in a similar fashion.

After trying a few different options, I decided on a Larue LT660HK mid-height mount designed for the taller HK416 rail interface. On a standard AR rail interface, this mounts the T1 0.33” lower than the standard height. While some run this setup for ballistics (closer sight to bore axes), I like it because it gives me a better cheekweld. Again, I’m a small guy and my shooting posture puts my line of sight pretty low on the gun. With a standard height optic, I end up with a chinweld, and I’m always looking up from the bottom 1/3. With the LT660HK, the optic aligns naturally when I shoulder the weapon.

I’ve also adopted a “competition” grip on the fore end, resulting in 2 (maybe 3) fingers on the VFG. I didn’t plan on using the storage compartment in the Tango Down VFG (keeping it light), so I chopped the bottom off resulting in a even “stubbier” VFG. Less stuff to snag, and just enough grip for me. Worked out great! This is what happens when you’re bored, you’ve blown all your money on training, and you can’t afford new gear. Other things that were sacrificed in the name of boredom and budget were the Magpul MBUS and BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle. The MBUS had their left “ears” removed and the pinch points scalloped out. The front MBUS modifications are to prevent inadvertent deployment with the “competition” grip. The rear MBUS modifications are to give more clearance for charging handle operation. The back up sights operate in the top 1/3 of the T1 with the LT660HK, so it’s best if they stay down until needed. They still deploy easily with a firm flat press. The BCM GF CH had the corners knocked down and the pinch point opened up because I’m a wuss when I don’t wear gloves. I found that palm-up operation of the GF CH doesn’t pinch with the “additional benefit” of being faster and more consistent for me.

The over-the-top thumb position of the “competition” grip also makes for a great light switch position. I ran a Surefire X300 at 3 o'clock, and while the light output was good, the built-in momentary switch was difficult to operate in this orientation. This affected my grip leading to spotty recoil management as you can see from the muzzle flip. A top mount switch position allows for operation with either thumb while maintaining a firm grip on the fore end. The next fix for me will be an XT07 dual switch and eventually an M300A. Why dual switch? For one-handed operation, you need a constant on switch. The top mount position will also keep it from accidentally getting bumped off at an inopportune time.

Lessons Learned:
    Without giving away the goose, here are some of my personal lessons learned:
    Remember your offset – it’s always the simple things that lead to the worst mistakes. This applies to your target and foreground from any angle. I sent rounds into the hood of a car with no effect on target. I also pierced a prone target’s ear 3 times.

Use of cover – this is a 2-way conversation. Be aware of your exposure and find your sight before you peek out. “Cover!” was the only corrective command heard more often than “Knees!”

Shoot when you shoot, load when you load. Perfectly execute the task at hand, or you might not get to the next one you’re worrying about. This also includes operating the light, safety, malfunctions, transitions, everything.

“Driving the gun” is a term that’s often used, but rarely explained.
    To me, “driving/snapping the gun from target to target” means accelerating the sights quickly to the target and stopping the the sights aggressively on target in order to engage.
    As it pertains to handling and manipulations, I interpret “driving the gun” as “railing out” a pistol presentation. I think of crisp, linear movements instead of sweeping, arcing motions.
    Finally, I think of actively managing recoil, recovery and follow through.

I found that briefly closing my opposite eye during switches helped me pick up the sight faster. Wink right eye when switching left, wink left eye when switching right. Open both eyes once the the sight is picked up in the correct eye. Sounds (and looks) stupid, but it works for me.

I found that the high-support-elbow (extended chicken wing) position lets you ride the fore end and really crank down on the recoil, but it obscures my view of threats to the support side. I dropped my elbow a few inches down, and while the dot jumps a little more under recoil, I can see other targets on the line which translates to potential threats in my space.

Watch others and learn from them. The shooters in this class were highly skilled, and I learned a lot by watching their successes and mistakes. I often can’t pick up the details of what I’m doing under pressure (here’s where I wish we had video analysis), but it’s easy to see areas of improvement from a 3rd-person perspective.

After you get comfortable with a technique or drill, run the wheels off and see where things start to break down so you can dial it back from your failure point. You’re here to learn, not to look good. The two can be mutually exclusive. Thick skin helps here.

Don’t beat yourself up. If you throw a shot or fumble a reload, let it go and drive on. Watching the pros in this class, issues were addressed with quiet, determined focus. It’s easy to cuss at yourself until you end up standing in a pile of loaded magazines.

Quit buying stuff and save up to train more.

Closing Thoughts:
    I’ve rambled on through my personal notes without even touching on the content of the class. The courses of fire were thought-provoking and challenging. The instruction was top notch with plenty of personalization to help each student learn as much as possible. The camaraderie of switched-on gunfighters is always a welcome break from the norm, and good times were had by all with highlights including an unexpected autograph request for our plus-size centerfold.

Viking Tactics Nightfighter Course is the most intensive and rewarding block of training I’ve ever received, and it is well worth the commitment from any serious shooter to attend. The cost per teachable moment makes this class a great value, and I plan on attending the class again in the near future. Thanks to Jack, Jeff and Melynda for handling the boring stuff in the background and making it easy for us to just show up at the range and learn. Thanks also go out to John for arranging the food and accommodations at the KOA cabins.
    Last edited by ruf; 12-07-09 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Joe thanks for posting the AAR.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    ruf,

Very nice AAR...almost as nice as your paint job!

Great to meet you and shoot with you,

Jake

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFreuler View Post
    I have a couple of rifles with lights mounted in the 4:30 ish position. I prefer the light in this position because it is easy for me to activate the light regardless of which shoulder the rifle is being fired from.
    This was my 'learning', too. Try activating a light from your support side and the value of the 4:30 placement becomes clearer. At least it did to me.

Jake

Feedback Score
    It was great shooting with you folks as well! Tons to learn and I'll be back for sure!

Feedback Score
    Nice AAR guys. Sounds like a good time was had by all.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    great pics, jeff.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345