Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AAR: VTAC Night Fighter Nov 6-8 2009-Pictures Added

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpd2110 View Post
    What is the reasoning behind the target?
    They laid the outline of the IPSC target over the human body to show the shooter a more realistic vital zone. If you notice on the target, the bolder target zones in the face, chest and pelvic area. These are more in line of where the vitals/stopping shots are in relation to the human body. During the class with some of the drills you are required to keep your shots within the bolder target areas which are more realistic in relation to the vitals that the traditional IPSC target A zone. But you also still have a traditional IPSC target there is you decide to use it.

On the back of the target you have the bullseye targets they he has used over the years. He went even further by breaking the bullseye target down into four quadrants to assist the shooter in diagnosing issues. During the 100 yard rifle cof that he uses you could shoot a different bullseye at each yard line. So instead of looking at one target with hopefully forty holes in it you have an individual target for each yard line that only hopefully contains ten holes. This allows the shooter and instructor an opportunity to diagnose an issue with the shooters position. The bullseye targets are also gridded to assist the shooter in zeroing their sighting systems. The shapes on the outside edge of the target gives you numbered precision shooting boxes. The numbered precision shooting shapes challenge the shooter up close on the clock.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-15-09 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Nice Pics Jeff.

I'm always impressed by folks that can take decent pictures.

The VTAC targets are really nice. It is very handy to see the skeleton under the 'skin' and to see how a traditional competition target doesn't really match the true human shape. My friend Bob also pointed out how 'Zombieish' these targets are at night. Nothing like shooting zombies, eh?

Jake
    I cannot take credit for all the pictures as some of them were taken by others.

The targets are very nice and challenging when required to use the true vital zones.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-15-09 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-15-09 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There were two shooters who ran S&W 5.45x39 uppers during the class. Somehow another shooter had a 5.45x39 cartridge to get mixed in with his 5.56 ammo. The result was a rifle that was completly shut down for the rest of the class and it was finally removed yesterday.

Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 11-15-09 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    ...My friend Bob also pointed out how 'Zombieish' these targets are at night. Nothing like shooting zombies, eh?

Jake
    Someone had asked durin the class if anyone has had a nightmare because of the targets yet.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Ain't no time for "Peter Pan"

I can't say enough about the quality of VTAC classes in general or this class specifically. Having trained with other top-flight instructors I can categorically say that Kyle trains at a much higher level REQUIRING you to really step up your game. Being safe required conscious weapons awareness at all times, coupled with the course material you had a lot on your mind when shooting.

Quite a few have mentioned that 1.5 is really a must before moving on to Kyle's more advanced training and I can't agree more. Without the foundations in 1.5 (and dedicated practice/preparation with your local training group prior to attendance) you will be hopelessly behind. More significantly you won't be safe. I don't care who you've trained with, Kyle is a wholly different animal and safety was paramount.

For me the most impressive aspect of the class was the instruction. The student-instructor was about 6:1 but when you considered the operational experience and skill of the assistant instructors who each exceeded most top-flight instructors in their own right it basically was a semi-private class. I would happily take a class from either Dan or DiTo and know I was getting the best instruction available.

The other highlight of the class was the Combat Mindset and Leadership Seminar given on the morning of TD2. The examples given by Kyle were often poignant and drew a clear distinction between those who seek to lead by example and those that serve their own vanity. If you get a chance to participate in one of those seminars I'd jump at the chance.

Lessons learned:
    1. You really learn how good a shooter you are when the "wheels start to come off". That's when you dial it back a bit.
    2. If I properly execute technique, I can do some things that used to kind of blow my mind.
    3. Gear matters, spend the time un****ing it - get a good light and practice using it.
    4. Drive the gun - this was something I had always heard but never really understood until this go round. It makes a huge amount of difference.
    5. A Dodge Neon can double for a battle tank in a pinch.

PS - Special thanks to The_Katar who spent many hours on the range with me in the weeks leading up to the class helping me square a lot of problems away that would otherwise distracted me from the quality of instruction.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I see a lot of thumb activated lights mounted at 4:30. Anybody care to share some specific thoughts on light placement? Any specific reasons why nobody was running a thumb activated at 11 o'clock or something like an X300 at 12?
    Last edited by Crane; 11-15-09 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    I see a lot of thumb activated lights mounted at 4:30. Anybody care to share some specific thoughts on light placement? Any specific reasons why nobody was running a thumb activated at 11 o'clock or something like an X300 at 12?
    I have a couple of rifles with lights mounted in the 4:30 ish position. I prefer the light in this position because it is easy for me to activate the light regardless of which shoulder the rifle is being fired from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting to note from the group photo how many EOTechs were used in the class, and Vltor stocks. Certain forums - and posters on this very forum- might equate that with a cardinal sin if you're not using an Aimpoint or Magpul CTR.

Thanks for the AAR and pics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast