Thread: RRA 9mm Carbine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question RRA 9mm Carbine

I am looking at purchasing a RRA 9mm carbine. If anyone has experience with this setup, would you recommend it? Would you recommend another option? I am just looking for a 9mm AR carbine that is reliable and simple and around $1100. I am looking at an carry handle setup with an entry stock, 14.5" barrel and a pinned PS compensator.

The only problem that I have read about with the RRA carbine was the ejector not functioning properly. Could this be due to underpowered inexpensive pistol ammo?

I was originally looking into an uzi carbine. However, I would like to stay with the AR platform as my 223 carbine is the exact same setup as the RRA I am looking at.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated and Thank You in advance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had a RRA 9mm upper for about five years now and it's been flawless. Last I checked I had about 3600 rounds through it. I use a VM HyTech magblock with unmodified Uzi mags. Steve at ADCO set me up with a great price and service.

I'm rebuilding it right now - when I first got it I replaced the factory one piece float tube with a YHM rail. Now it's getting a TRX Extreme or the VTAC equivalent plus a new Nodak Spud 9mm lower with an ACS to replace the 5.56 marked RRA lower and six position.

Having a 9mm AR around is very useful - I can shoot it at indoor ranges during those long Chicago winters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is there any way that I can use my lower for both the 9mm and .223 by just changing the buffer and spring when i change the uppers? Do I need to use a specific hammer etc? If so I may hold off on purchasing a dedicated lower.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Mine's always been a dedicated 9mm.

The buffer would need to change for sure; I'm using a RRA 9mm hammer, but I believe you can modify the 9mm BCG to allow use of a normal 5.56 hammer. A switch-top should be doable if you have a drop-in mag block.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556mp View Post
    Is there any way that I can use my lower for both the 9mm and .223 by just changing the buffer and spring when i change the uppers? Do I need to use a specific hammer etc? If so I may hold off on purchasing a dedicated lower.
    I have a both a RRA 16" & Bushy 5" that I shoot frequently. Neither have given my ANY problems what so ever.

For the ease of switching between 9mm & 5.56/.223 calibers I'd say go with a DPMS no-notch hammer, of course depending on if your bolt is ramped or not, and make sure you get some KNS anti-rotation pins to save your lower receiver any undue abuse. From what I hear 9mm is hard on lowers but I can NOT attest to this as both mine look as new as the day I bought them.

I'll PM you more info in a few with detailed feedback I got on this same subject.
    Saiga S12 is my new Homeland Defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556mp View Post
    If you want to switch between one lower for both 9mm and 5.56 then look at the Oly system. It was designed to work with a standard buffer. It will work with unmodified cheap Sten mags. I have one and it is not as mag sensitive as the Colt/rra system. Mine hasn't had a single failure of any kind in ~2500 rounds. I use a KKF mag well block and mags dating from WWII in varied condition. I have a couple of mags with small holes rusted through them that still work great! Hahn makes a nice block for them as well as Oly.

Feedback Score

RRA 9mm Carbine

Good job newbie I have 2 othe them in my rifles Oly sells the same trigger that is manufactured for RRA., and I love them. The one in the Rattler 7.62x39 carbine is especially nice.