Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: helping son prepare for boot camp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Aug - Oct and that was miserable" Blasphemer!

MCRD San Diego has some of the mildest weather in the world and is clearly a superior place to train than the WM bootcamp in South Carolina during the same months. It is also NOTHING like August to October in other fine places that Marines play,

29 Palms
    Area 2301 near Yuma
    Ft. Irwin
    Somali
    Iraq
    etc...................

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Please read this soldier's entry and consider planning a vacation together to get some training.

Lessons Learned In Combat
    Last edited by Ed243; 11-15-09 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I DO NOT recommend you trying to provide any training for your son PRIOR to his EOD with the Corps. They'll teach him what they want him to know in the beginning. He can do/get advanced training after he completes Basic and ITS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    if you are suiting him up in Battle rattle(Ruck ,Boots Uniform), Get wet, Muddy ditches as in Low crawl and a hike soaked .My whole BRM it was raining sideways ,we laid in puddles of water for 4 days.Land Nav you guessed it rained the whole time and cold.My friend that went to Marnie BCT said they where wet all the time.
    And one thing I noticed was the younger guys took the DS yelling at them on minor things personal.just remember these men are training you how not to be Killed in a Battle zone

and tell him Thank you for his service
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 11-15-09 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Corps will teach him to shoot, THEIR way. They will teach him THEIR tactics. The Corps has little patience for UNLEARNING recruits previous instruction and/or bad habits. Do get him in running, doing core exercises, etc. Running now in good running shoes is fine. They will issue boots and break them in once he hits MCRD. Want to do some training with him before hand? Join a Cross-fit class, seriously, both of you will benefit. Teach him the fundamentals of discipline, the Corps will take care of the rest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    I DO NOT recommend you trying to provide any training for your son PRIOR to his EOD with the Corps. They'll teach him what they want him to know in the beginning. He can do/get advanced training after he completes Basic and ITS.
    I take it that by "training" you mean the sort of thing you do when you enroll in a class like this http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/sdtaccarbine.htm or this http://www.eagtactical.com.

I assume that you would not be opposed to his "training" to be able to do 30 chin-ups, or 120 crunches in two minutes, or three miles in 18 minutes, or to bench press twice his weight ten times.

I'm not sure whether you think putting hundreds of rounds in the bull's eye with a .22 should be avoided or not.

Feedback Score
    The Corps will teach him to shoot, THEIR way.
    So stop going to the woods with our rifles? We've been doing this for ten years, since he was eight years old, but you're saying the USMC wishes we hadn't?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Exactly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Do get him in running, doing core exercises, etc.
    We've definitely got this covered. He's already fit--285 on his PFT today--and steadily improving.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast