Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk bare-bones BOK

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As for how quickly a Tension Pneumo kills it really depends.

By definition you have a tension pneumo before you show signs, how quickly it progresses from there depends on the injury. In my experience once the signs are obvious you're behind the curve.

My sense is that you're talking about an open pneumo thorax caused by penetrating trauma rather than a closed pneumo caused by a car accident/paper bag effect or coughing. You can sometimes decompress an open pneumo without a needle by releasing the air then sealing the system with a flapper valve of sorts. You need a needle for a closed pneumo.

A lot of variables there to apply to a barebones kit. Since you're talking about GSW's I'd think a needle kit is less applicable for bare bones.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-20-09 at 10:43.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the sake to the topic at hand let's assume that you're going to start with a GSW. While the current trend towards more and more theatrics in training may one day reach the point of car races resulting in the potential for a car crash, let's assume that the worst injury you'll sustain on the range is still the GSW.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Anyways suggestions:
    http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=4154

Fits in a double, or triple Mag Pouch.

And it can fit the items that you are most likely to need:
    Pressure Dressing (I like the H-bandage)
    Quikclot Combat Gauze
    TK-4
    NPA
    Decompression Needle

Of course you can vary the contents.
    I'd like to see that combined with the deployment style of the BFG Trauma Kit NOW!. Less overall material, easier to deploy, etc.
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-20-09 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd like to see that combined with the deployment style of the BFG Trauma Kit NOW!. Less overall material, easier to deploy, etc.
    I don't know of any on the market that combine both requirements.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Going to meet with a local gear maker on some other projects tomorrow and will have to address this.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For the sake to the topic at hand let's assume that you're going to start with a GSW. While the current trend towards more and more theatrics in training may one day reach the point of car races resulting in the potential for a car crash, let's assume that the worst injury you'll sustain on the range is still the GSW.
    I think that's an appropriate model.

The statistics you provided from TCCC shows that penetrating trauma/hemorrhage is more lethal than all other causes combined.

Since you're keeping it to the range, rather than a SHTF scenario, and EMS is more or less in close proximity to provide higher orders of tx, for "bare bones" (bare minimum) I'd concentrate on hemorrhage control.

Tourniquet, pressure dressing, maybe hemostat has the most applicability and will treat the most likely injuries.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Stewie View Post
    Not dogging anyone, just wanted to put that out there...
    I don't take it that way at all. It's no different than someone asking a question on the firearm side of the forum and some of us saying "go take a class".

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    By all means get training anyways, but lack of formal training is no reason not to have a bare bones kit.

A bare bones kit of a tourniquet, dressing and perhaps a hemostat requires very little training. Any FR class will make you reasonably competent in their use if you're not clever enough to figure it out on your own (I'm pretty sure everyone here is competent enough).

Needle kits and other more advanced techniques certainly do require training but I wouldn't call that bare bones. That's a pretty specialized technique.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast