Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck at a bench press weight.

Feedback Score

Stuck at a bench press weight.

Ok, now I've been doing bench press sets usually 3 sets of 8 at 275 give or take 10 pounds depending on how I'm feeling, and I can't get my weight to progress any further. I've been at this weight for about 10 weeks and it's pissing me off! Advice... Please?

Feedback Score
    What has worked for me is to go back to basics with the old standard Bill Starr 5x5 intermediate or if you are feeling froggy go with the advanced. When you increase your lower body strength your upper will follow.

Try this out and post results.
    http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geo...Linear_5x5.htm

It will feel light at first, but by weeks 4-6 you should be seeing the increases. Starting off watch your lines and make sure your form is perfect, I also believe focusing on the anterior excercies will improve your strength as well.

I also recommend not following this for more than 12 weeks even if you are still increasing in weight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was also going to suggest squats when I saw the title to this post. I was reading an article on the difference between body builders and a strongman's work out. In the strongman's routine it seemed the whole week was legs. It said the same thing as above. If you build your lower body, the upper body will be more susceptible to gains. They say working the legs releases test. and Rugby players layoff the sex weeks before big matches to "keep" the testosterone in. There might be something to it.

Feedback Score
    I've gotten pretty good results from this program:

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

Got me more focused on lower reps and more weight. The only pain is finding a spotter when you work out solo. Went from about 200 max to a bit over 225 the last time I did it before taking a few months off from working out. Almost through it a second time and may be going a bit above 225.

EDIT: The 50 lb increase claim from the article is bogus. If they are going to make a claim like that it should at least be a percentage increase.
    Last edited by rudy99; 06-12-10 at 08:53.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmark View Post
    Ok, now I've been doing bench press sets usually 3 sets of 8 at 275 give or take 10 pounds depending on how I'm feeling, and I can't get my weight to progress any further. I've been at this weight for about 10 weeks and it's pissing me off! Advice... Please?
    Doing the exact same thing month after month, year after year (such as 3x8 bench....) is not going to yield ongoing progress. See for example:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40678

Lots of other threads like that here describing ways of avoiding the approach you are using.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-13-10 at 18:29.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'm starting my "new" program tomorrow and Im going to try the one in the link Will sent.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'm starting my "new" program tomorrow and Im going to try the one in the link Will sent.
    Top of this forum section, there are more threads to read under the "Will Brink Postings" section as well that cover various training related info.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Will,

On the question of creatine. Is there a particular brand you use and/or recommend? I know the cm mixed with juice seems to be the way to take it but I was wondering if there is a type that is ready to go... as in shake and drink?

And do you recommend taking it before or after a workout?

Feedback Score
    Doing the exact same thing month after month, year after year (such as 3x8 bench....) is not going to yield ongoing progress.
    I would suggest that you pyramid--Go up in weight and down in reps. On the flat bench I like to go in reps of 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1. The intensity of each set is also important. Each set must be as heavy as possible. If you get all of your sets for the particular week, then go up in small weight increments of 5 lbs at a time. That would equal to a 20 pound jump in a month.

Rugby players layoff the sex weeks before big matches to "keep" the testosterone in
    That is dedication right there, but not something I am willing to do or would recommend, LOL. Got to prioritize some things in life.
    Last edited by Delta1067; 06-18-10 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will,

On the question of creatine. Is there a particular brand you use and/or recommend? I know the cm mixed with juice seems to be the way to take it but I was wondering if there is a type that is ready to go... as in shake and drink?

And do you recommend taking it before or after a workout?
    Any company that uses Creapure as their source for creatine is fine. Do a Google search, you will see various companies. I prefer it micronized, and get mine from www.LEF.org

See my free report on creatine, which covers just about everything one could need to know on the topic: www.Creatine-report.com.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-19-10 at 18:24.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast