Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your "diet"?

Feedback Score
    Paleo is about as good as it gets. I like to combine this with The Warrior Diet - adjusted for my 5:30AM workouts. Fitness and nutrition has been a hobby of mine as intense as my shooting habit for quite a few decades (I'm 52 at 5' 11" and 170 with under 10% bodyfat). I've done massive protein, massive calories, vegetarian yada yada yada. Paleo with a nod to The Warrior Diet is as good as it gets - unless perhaps if you are a under 30 competitive athlete.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-01-09 at 19:09.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I try to cut the sugars, white bread, processed, sat fats, etc. and include fresh vegetables, fruit, and nuts in my diet. Pretty close to the Zone.

I do like the occasional ice cream and my wife made my favorite pecan pie with homemade whipped cream for Thanksgiving. I have had a small slice with a little dollop of whipped cream every day since. Today was the last piece which is both good and bad.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I am VERY interested in this thread. As a cop with swinging hours and 4 kids, it is really hard to stick to any type of regiment. I recently stopped going to the gym because I needed to cut the extra $60 a month from the budget. When I stop going to the gym, i tend to gain weight instantly! I was 187 last summer and am 215 now. I recently cut sugar COMPLETELY out of my diet and find myself craving it. I have never been one to eat sweets and now I crave them. When I do watch what I eat, I generally eat cerial and yogert for breakfast and a salad for lunch and meat for dinner.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Collegiate budget allows for a much less diverse diet than i would like

Carbs for me come in the form of
    Baked Potatoes(sweet if possible), oatmeal, wheat bread

Proteins are
    Turkey,Chicken,Fish, red meat sparingly

Vegetables i can eat about 90% of whats out there but i try to get it raw whenever possible or cooked very simply(boiled)

Schedule makes things hard but i would otherwise have much more elaborately planned meals as far as lowering calories/maximizing nutrition

I probably know the Glycemic index by heart now and have been doing increasingly well in evading Fast Food joints

Sadly though Im heavy on the caffeine, either black coffee or sugar free energy drinks. Not a consistent addiction but when its crunch time i dont see much of a choice.

I have a cheating rule in which i let myself cheat 3 meals a week, max 1 per day. Helps keep me sane

Feedback Score
    Cory, if you find yourself craving sugar, try increasing your healthy fat intake (saturated/mono-saturated)

I've had great success w/this..

For those of you who are interested in the Paleo approach, I regularly read these blogs (no affiliation to the owners):

Dr. Jeff Harris at PaNu

and

Mark Sisson @ Mark's Daily Apple

There is some things in there that really go against what we've been ingrained to follow, so if it shocks you at first...its normal.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 12-01-09 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Cory, if you find yourself craving sugar, try increasing your healthy fat intake (saturated/mono-saturated)
    Will do, thanks!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Will do, thanks!
    Fat is what is responsible for that feeling of satiety you are craving.

Feedback Score
    Whats the quickest source of the healthy fat, nuts?
    Last edited by Azul; 12-02-09 at 01:51. Reason: semantics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I am VERY interested in this thread. As a cop with swinging hours and 4 kids, it is really hard to stick to any type of regiment. I recently stopped going to the gym because I needed to cut the extra $60 a month from the budget. When I stop going to the gym, i tend to gain weight instantly! I was 187 last summer and am 215 now. I recently cut sugar COMPLETELY out of my diet and find myself craving it. I have never been one to eat sweets and now I crave them. When I do watch what I eat, I generally eat cerial and yogert for breakfast and a salad for lunch and meat for dinner.
    Look into the Zone Diet. while not perfect, it's an established eating plan and there are lots of books on the subject. The best one is a guide to readily available restaurant, even fast food, offerings that work with the Zone. It makes it much easier to follow the plan if there are options availalbe when you're out and about.

My personal opinion is that having a plan is as important as what plan you have. Lots of people will rave about one plan or another, without ever having tried anything else, and the truth is that the plan they chose only works because almost anything is better than the horrible fast/junk food diet they were on before. Even just going from a diet of all restaurant food to a diet of eating all home-prepared food is an improvement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Azul View Post
    Whats the quickest source of the healthy fat, nuts?
    Rule of thumb from recent books/lit I've read and that I've used, stick with the saturated and monosatured fats. Avoid poly's.

I use alot of coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, all the saturated/mono fat in the animal meat, bacon, chicken (including the skin), beef..

Nuts I'd avoid, they are a trigger food and easy to over do on. If do want nuts, I'd go for Macadamia nuts.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast