Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the FN Scar here to stay? + Other Scar Questions

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I played with one today. This is a really nice rifle. Very nicely built and everything seems well thought-out. I am too cheap to drop $2500 on one just yet, but I probably will one day. Just a neat rifle.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnFéinM1911 View Post
    It is in reference to a 7.62 x 39 TD mag. I believe.
    I only comprehended half the post, good catch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnFéinM1911 View Post
    From my personal observations, the PMAG functions very well in the Mk16. It does not drop freely full or empty (greater then 90% ofthe time).

Im not sure about the Civ SCAR and Mk16, but the TD mags work well in the Mk16's and drop freely.

- Nick,

I thought your Emag's were supposed ot address this?

B
    Brett,

Based on what I hear from the field, the latest PMAGs and EMAGs function and drop free from the Mk16 SCAR, but we should have much better data in the near future. I know there are tens of thousands of PMAGs in service with the units fielding the SCAR now, but it's hard to say how many of those mags wound up with operators fielding the SCAR vs. Mk18 vs. M4.

I'd be happy to send you some of the latest PMAGs and EMAGs for fit/function testing in the Mk16 and 16S rifles if that would help. Just shoot me an email with your shipping address: nick at magpul dot com and I'll send them your way.

It's amazing how the little things, magazines or otherwise, can improve the usability of a weapon system. We would like to do whatever we can to help to the end user do his/her job as effectively as possible. If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I look forward to seeing you and the rest of the FN crew at SHOT Show this year to discuss some of the things both our companies are working on.

Cheers,

Nick
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have to wait for the ACR to come out to see head to head comparisons. Right now on paper, I feel the ACR is better for the following reasons:

Magpul polymer is hard to beat
    true full ambi controls and bolt catch/release located near the trigger guard. SCAR only has ambi selector switch and mag release, but still has the old style bolt release on the left side.
    non reciprocating charging handle
    toolless barrel change (SCAR requires that screwdriver)
    MSRP is expected to be lower
    multiple calibers capability, although this doesnt really interest me personally

Both are very similar weapons, but I dont see what the SCAR has over the ACR.

Feedback Score
    "Both are very similar weapons, but I dont see what the SCAR has over the ACR"

You can go down to your local fun shop and buy a Scar if you want one . That would be the first advantage . The ACR looks cool but they may have missed the boat .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yea i've held a SCAR at the local store, pretty nice, really light

well supposedly its coming out soon according to Remington MPD, they had final production model ACRs at a French weapons show, recently.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...remington-mpd/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    Both are very similar weapons, but I dont see what the SCAR has over the ACR.
    The SCAR has actually been heavily tested, refined and fielded by the US Military. The ACR, not so much...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll buy whichever one drops into the $1500 range first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I doubt it.

Any rifle whose major components are made of 6061 aluminum isn't a serious combat weapon.

Any outfit that manufactures combat weapons of this material is specifically designing in planned obsolescence -- kinda like how GM dug its own hole.
    I'd like to explore this a little more.....

It looks like the receiver is an extrusion.
    Last edited by JPB; 12-06-09 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    both look extruded
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 12-06-09 at 19:39.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast